Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello folks,

Trying to see what would be the best bike rack to carry on the back of my 5vr.
Let me know what types you all are using.

I would like to find a cargo carry/bike rack combo! Any suggestions??

Thanks, Jim
2009 GMC Sierra SLT Dually
C&Jcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I had a Swagman four bike rack that mounted in a 2" receiver on the bumperof my Blue Ridge. I have looked over this Cruiser I have now and the bumper is welded to the frame, but when hauling four bikes, there is a lot of flexing of the rear bumper. I lost the bumper cap and a 10' length of sewer hose on the way home from the Smoky Mountains one day due to the bike rack flexing the bumper. I may go ahead and have a 2" hitch frame mounted on this one so I don't have to worry about that.

I would highly recommend you mount a receiver hitch to the frame or come up with a different type of bike rack. I have seen them mounted to the ladder, but that seems like it would be even more risky to me. Check out the Forest River Forum. There is a guy on there that made a hitch that mounts to the pin box on the front of his fifth wheel. It's different, but it works.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Jim & Cathy,

I bought a ladder hanging bike rack and after using it 3-4 times the ladder snapped at one of the rungs. Guess what? Waeanty voided because ladders are for people not bikes. Asked about having 2" receiver welded on rear of frame and warranty voided unless Lippert does it. Cost around $400.00 from Lipprt. I ended up having a 2" receiver mounted on the front of my truck and it works great although I do have to remove bike seats so vision is not obstructed Cost $200.00. Hope this helps.
Bruce
bandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

"I would highly recommend you mount a receiver hitch to the frame or come up with a different type of bike rack. I have seen them mounted to the ladder, but that seems like it would be even more risky to me. Check out the Forest River Forum. There is a guy on there that made a hitch that mounts to the pin box on the front of his fifth wheel. It's different, but it works."
Check/search this forum also, there are posts/pics of others on here that have also done the pin box mount ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all of the information. I do have a 2" receiver welded to my frame. The dealer put that on. But, I will keep searching for a sturdy mount. I did buy a Swagman rack when I bought my new bike, but as soon as I unpacked the rack it had warnings on it that it was not to be used on a fifth wheel.
So, for now I will use my forkmounts in the bed of my truck, it is 8' and I pay close attention when turning. This has not been a problem so far carrying the bike that way, just checking out other options.

Thanks again, Jim
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&Jcampers

Thanks for all of the information. I do have a 2" receiver welded to my frame. The dealer put that on. But, I will keep searching for a sturdy mount. I did buy a Swagman rack when I bought my new bike, but as soon as I unpacked the rack it had warnings on it that it was not to be used on a fifth wheel.
So, for now I will use my forkmounts in the bed of my truck, it is 8' and I pay close attention when turning. This has not been a problem so far carrying the bike that way, just checking out other options.

Thanks again, Jim

I haven't had any trouble with the Swagman rack itself on the fifth wheel. It is a fine bike rack. The only issue I had is the fact that I didn't/don't have a frame mounted receiver. I had a receiver that just bolts on the back bumper itself. The weight of four bikes dangling from the back bumper puts a lot of stress on the bumper itself during travel. However, I did carry four bikes on it from Middle Tennessee to Lancaster County, PA without any problems other than having to stop every so often and check the bumper caps.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&Jcampers

Hello folks,

Trying to see what would be the best bike rack to carry on the back of my 5vr.
Let me know what types you all are using.

I would like to find a cargo carry/bike rack combo! Any suggestions??

Thanks, Jim

Do you have a full size truck bed? If so, check out the Yakima Bed heads. They work well and you don't have your bikes where you cannot see them.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

The best place to carrythem is on the kingpin. There is little to no bounce there.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

There is a guy in the campground where we are camping this weekend who has a Yakima four bike roof mounted rack on his truck. Looks great. I haven't been able to catch him outside to ask him about it, but that might be one worth looking into. It looks very sturdy.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Mike,
Keep us posted please...I'm looking for ways to haul a few bikes myself and haven't seen anything that tweaks my interest yet.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Jim:
Nice looking rig. Good luck, and ENJOY!!!!
Here is a bike rack that looks good to me.
http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum...rack-installed

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I never could catch the guy to talk to him about the roof mount Yakima. I looked it up on the Yakima website. It looks pretty expensive, more than I would want to invest in a bike rack, but it would probably be the best overall option for carrying your bikes while pulling a fifth wheel.

http://yakima.com/shop/bike/roof/highroller

The link only shows the rack for one bike, but I think you can add up to four bikes.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info.
We just picked up a small car for the wife, so now I have plenty of room in my crew cab for the bike to ride in the back seat, withthe seats in the up position. It will stay safe, and dry in there.

Take care, Jim