Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Does a good slip on type camper cover exist? I am losing my metal cover, and need to do the next best thing other than renting a high priced storage unit.

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

2007 HitchHiker II LS 29.5 FKTG

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...G_0955-1-1.jpg
markbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Hey Mark! Good to hear you are still around. My parents have a cover for their 5er. I would guess it is about 6 years old. It has held up real well and they use it every winter. It must not be too difficult to handle because my dad has always put it on and taken it off by himself (with minimal help from mom). Their 5er is a 36 footer so it is a pretty big cover but he has a "system" for getting it on and off that he can do pretty much by himself. I have never seen him do it because everytime he tells me he is going to put it on or take it off, by the time I drive over to help he is done! I want to say it is made by Adco? It has left some wear marks on their rig but nothing you would notice if you did not know where to look and got up real close. He does tie it down tight so even in a lot of wind it doesn't flap around. I will ask him what brand/model it is and repost.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hey Lonnie, whats sup dude? Good to hear from you also! Hey, that would be great to get the information on your dad's cover. I would think keeping even the UV rays off the roof would be a big help to keep it in better shape. Look forward to hearing back from you, and thanks Lonnie, you da man!!

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

Old 05-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

<H3>For what it's worth, I just came across this on the Crossroads site yesterday, I think. Have covered my motorhome when I had it ...</H3>

<H3>Should I cover my RV with a tarpaulin or canvas when it is not in use?</H3>

<BLOCKQUOTE>It is not recommended that your RV be wrapped with any type of cover. The rubber roof material needs to breathe and be allowed to dry thoroughly to prevent mold and mildew. According to the roof material supplier, the chalky look of the rubber is normal. Parking under an overhang or in a large garage is acceptable</BLOCKQUOTE>

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We used an ADCO cover on our old 26' 5er for years and it worked well protecting our trailer. It did not have a rubber roof so not sure about the quotation from Crossroads but I never saw any mold on the metal roof.<div siber__q92dpb7seovvtbh5__vptr="2632810" sourceindex="5">The things I didn't like about the cover were putting it on and taking it off, cleaning it after I took it off and not really being able to use the camper when it was on. We keep our camper on our lot at Port Susan, WA all winter and would like to go there in the winter to use it but was always ahasslewith the cover on. We had a big metal cover built when we got our new Cruiser last year and that's the best of all, next to a heated garage.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Crossroads said not to cover so I don't. Sixth year and not a problem. Maybe more to keep it clean but no damage from fabric rubbing the roof.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Mark,
The cover is an ADCO. I don't know the model but I will get that for you. My dad is going in for heart tests tomorrow and I have been swamped with end of the year stuff at school so I haven't been able to get the details off the cover and I don't want my dad wrestling with it until we know what is going on with his heart. He did say it was the best cover they have had. He says it is the lightest weight but most durable of the 3 they have had. The first one they let go with their motorhome when they sold it and the second one ending tearing and didn't hold up. Anyway, as soon as I get a chance I will try to get the details for you. Just didn't want you to think I had forgotten.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I've been looking at a fabric covered building that has a 16' x 40' footprint and is 14.5' tall. The basic building with short side walls, about 2' down the sides, and open ends is quite a bit less expensive than the full sided version with closed ends. Should I spend the extra money for a closed building or is the roof the only thing that really matters? It has a 15 year warranty but the salesman says that I can actually expect it to last more like 25 years. Believe me, in 25 years I probably won't care!!!

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusSailor
I've been looking at a fabric covered building that has a 16' x 40' footprint and is 14.5' tall. The basic building with short side walls, about 2' down the sides, and open ends is quite a bit less expensive than the full sided version with closed ends. Should I spend the extra money for a closed building or is the roof the only thing that really matters? It has a 15 year warranty but the salesman says that I can actually expect it to last more like 25 years. Believe me, in 25 years I probably won't care!!!

Thanks,

I wonder if that type of a setup, I would need a building permit?

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Here in Michigan it is considered to be a temporary structure and does not need a building permit. It also doesn't add to your property taxes. Still wondering if it is worth the extra money for sides and ends to make a complete enclosure.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

CygnusSailer, could you post a link to one of these covers?

2006 Dodge 5.9L CTD

Old 05-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

This is the link to the specific structure I am looking at. You can navigate around their whole site from here:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...er=1640RV10W10

That's quite the link!!!!