Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Camper crashed at CW

I dropped my new ZT31SB ZINGER off for warranty work. It is only 3 weeks old. Warranty work was scheduled after we picked up camper on delivery. Dropped off on Saturday and they called me today to say they have good news and bad news. Good news is they started warranty work, bad news is someone crashed into the front of my camper. They preceded to tell me I needed to call my insurance company for setting up repair. I don't feel as if that is the proper way to do it. They claim it was a hit and run. They seen the camper that guy mine but couldn't get license plate number. Why didn't they call the police and make a report.
Would anyone know who is responsible for this. A 3 week old camper with a long list of warranty work and now damaged badly. Maybe they will just give me a new one.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would think if it was on thier property and not on a public highway or city street it is on them . Secondly it was in for their specific warranty and service capabiltes. Call your Insurance agency and then your Lawyer. Do not settle for anyting without good legal advice. Good Luck CW is a major dealer in RV,S they will have to make good.
Keep us posted.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I would probably tell them to call THEIR insurance company, not mine.

Go to the Good Sam website and contact Marcus Lemonis. He's the CEO of Good Sam and they own CW. Also go to rv.net and start posting over there with your problems. (That's the Good Sam forum). Both of those should stir up something.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post

Go to the Good Sam website and contact v. He's the CEO of Good Sam and they own CW. Also go to rv.net and start posting over there with your problems. (That's the Good Sam forum). Both of those should stir up something.
I have been less than satisfied with trying to contract Marcus Lemois. You get his subordinates who try to aswage the situation with a discount coupoN.

Get right on this the sooner the better. I agree with Cliff post on RV.net.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tomandlori
If the camper was on their property and.in their possession. They are completely and totally liable for anything that happens to the camper. Have Crossroads.talk to an attorney.
tomandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandlori View Post
If the camper was on their property and.in their possession. They are completely and totally liable for anything that happens to the camper. Have Crossroads.talk to an attorney.
I would sure hope/think that is the way it would work.
I few years back when I was renting out storage space for campers, boats, or what ever, My insurance agent told me---"you can't insure somebody else property".
I don't know how it works in a situation like this one.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif View Post
Most definitely. If it was sitting on their lot than I am pretty sure they are responsible.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #8
Site Team

I had good luck emailing Marcus direct. He responded the next day.
Check out the rv.net site.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
I had good luck emailing Marcus direct. He responded the next day.
Check out the rv.net site.
Mark
Of course you did... I wrote Marcus didn't hear from him, didn't even get a form letter from his office... NOTA ZILCH NOTHIN....
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Tommy, you must have written real loud. He thought you were yelling at him. Next time use a crayon. It looks nicer.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Reach out to the camping world forums on rv.net. I met Marcus at a camping world grand opening. Nice guy. We got a bunch of free stuff that day.

I Can tell you that my old tt got dented while in for service at CW. They pretended not to know it happened. We noticed it at pick up. Service was closed but our service writer was still there. He gave us two options. Option one, leave the tt and let them fix the dent on their dime. Option two, take $100 gift card to CW, and repair tt ourselves. It waS a very small dent. The service writer explained exactly what tools we would need (a rubber mallet and some caulk) to fix it. We took the gift card and repaired it ourselves in less than 30 min. You couldn't even tell it happened when we were done. Point being, CW owned up to fault/liability as it happened while in their care of our tt.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I think you are required to notify your ins carrier (not sure, may be a state by state thing)

but I would turn it right back to them and ask them if they are sure they want to pursue it like that ?
It WAS in their care and even though they put little signs up everywhere and may be on the work order, you can't sign your rights away for things like that...

be nice (at first )
Old 08-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Reach out to the camping world forums on rv.net. I met Marcus at a camping world grand opening. Nice guy. We got a bunch of free stuff that day.

I Can tell you that my old tt got dented while in for service at CW. They pretended not to know it happened. We noticed it at pick up. Service was closed but our service writer was still there. He gave us two options. Option one, leave the tt and let them fix the dent on their dime. Option two, take $100 gift card to CW, and repair tt ourselves. It waS a very small dent. The service writer explained exactly what tools we would need (a rubber mallet and some caulk) to fix it. We took the gift card and repaired it ourselves in less than 30 min. You couldn't even tell it happened when we were done. Point being, CW owned up to fault/liability as it happened while in their care of our tt.
We had some work done on our 5er at LazyDays in Florida. This is a HUGE dealership. When you arrive, someone comes out and inspects your unit to see if there are any dents and scratches on it. If there are, they make note of them and you sign the paper. This way you cannot go back on them and say they caused them. I thought it was a very professional way to deal with this potential problem. It protects both the dealership and the RV owner.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

I would get an attorney and maybe even request a new unit. Who knows what other damage may have been done if it was hit hard.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like you guys have our luck. We got hit sitting at a gas station waiting to gas up our truck. An idiot tried to go around us with a long enclosed trailer, cut it too short and clipped the passenger rear end of our new trailer. This was our first vacation with the unit. It did minor damage but was still upsetting. We were able to use the trailer and continue our vacation, thank goodness.

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandlori View Post
I agree. If they are in possession of the camper they are responsible for the damages. Something doesn't sound right.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I work for a car dealer and when have a customer vehicle hit/damage in are care we as a dealer stand behind it. Even the dealer itself pay the bill. It is just the right thing to do.
2015 Sunset ST32RL
Wantabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Today I received a message from the SVP of CW. He wanted my contact info and said he will inform the regional manager. I called CW corporate HQ's and signed into their social media. Hope for the best.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Keep us informed!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I would sure hope/think that is the way it would work.
I few years back when I was renting out storage space for campers, boats, or what ever, My insurance agent told me---"you can't insure somebody else property".
I don't know how it works in a situation like this one.
Your agent is right and wrong. You can purchase insurance to cover someone else's property that is in your custody and care. It is called Bailee's insurance.

You can't purchase insurance on someone else's camper and hope they total it.

It sounds like this has been resolved and that is good. If not, the OP could get his insurance to fix it and let the insurance company go after CW for reimbursement.
3Putt is offline   Reply With Quote