Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I'm wondering if any Canadian members on the forum have an understanding of the Ontario MTO rules regarding towing recreational trailers. I've made numerous phone calls and seem to get a different answer from each person I speak to.

I'm towing a 2011 30SKP with a 2007 Chev 2500 4x4, D/A. The truck presently has a registered gross weight rating of 3500 kg. Does anyone know if I need to increase the registered gross weight rating in order to be legal.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Are you ever lucky that I did all that work about three years ago.

1: Driver's Licence Requirements.

A normal Class G licence will meet the requirement provided that your trailer does not exceed 10000 lb. The 10000 lbs referred to is the weight that the trailer bears on the road at the tires when the trailer is hitched to the trailer. It is NOT the loaded deadweight or the GVWR of the trailer.

2:Your Trailer.

I looked at the spec's for your trailer and you should be ok for pulling it with a Class G licence.

3: Your Truck

You probably should raise the registered weight to GVWR at least. It is likely that your dealer registered the truck at 3500Kg to save you a little money on the license plates and tags. There is a little quirk in our regulations that negates the weight rule. Our 2500HD D/A was originally registered for 4000Kg. Ihad personalize plates that I wanted to put on the truck and whenI did the change, the truck becomes a personal vehicle like a carwith the accompanying $74 ayearlicense tag andas long as you don't use the truck as abusiness or commercially you canload it up to what ever you want butit wouldn't be adviseable to exceedtheGVWR of the truck.

4: I sent you aPM.

5: The CF30SKP is one nice rig. We just love our plain old CF30SK. Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the reply and the pm George. The info you provided is very close to my interpretation of the MTO rules and regulations, I just needed to hear it from someone who had experienced the same frustration in dealing with the MTO.

I wasn't too concerned about the class A-R license, I figured I was ok with my class D. It was the registered gross vehicle weight rating that was causing me headaches. The MTO website shows a formula for determining the RGVWR for the truck, I suppose I would have to weigh the truck and the trailer to get an accurate weight that the trailer is exerting on the road.

In the meantime, I think I will increase the registered gross weight of the truck from 3500 kg to 4500 kg and hope for the best. As long as I don't exceed 4500 kg, I avoid the annual safety inspection.

We really like our 30SKP. We spent a lot of time researching 5vers and chose the 30SKP based on the floor plan and recommendations of Cruiser owners.

Thanks again for all your help.

2007 Chev 2500 HD, D/A 4x4

2011 Cruiser CF30SK Provincial.

https://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/...way/th_014.jpg
Rambleaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambleaway
Thanks for the reply and the pm George. The info you provided is very close to my interpretation of the MTO rules and regulations, I just needed to hear it from someone who had experienced the same frustration in dealing with the MTO.
Glad to help!! It only took me about 2 years to get it resolved to my satisfaction.

I wasn't too concerned about the class A-R license, I figured I was ok with my class D. It was the registered gross vehicle weight rating that was causing me headaches. The MTO website shows a formula for determining the RGVWR for the truck, I suppose I would have to weigh the truck and the trailer to get an accurate weight that the trailer is exerting on the road.
I have a Class B license, and I was told by the MTO that it would not meet the requirement if the axle weight exceeded 10000 lb and that I'd need a Class A-R. My DW only has a Class G and she drives the rig as much as I do and that's the reason, more than anything, that I pursued the question.

In the meantime, I think I will increase the registered gross weight of the truck from 3500 kg to 4500 kg and hope for the best. As long as I don't exceed 4500 kg, I avoid the annual safety inspection.
Ironically, I'm considering changing the plates back to commercial and re-registering our truck for the actual weight plus a bit. I'm really not as concerned about the annual safety check as I am aboutour litigationmadfriends to the south.

We really like our 30SKP. We spent a lot of time researching 5vers and chose the 30SKP based on the floor plan and recommendations of Cruiser owners.

We looked at a lot of floorplans and undoubtedly, the 30SK floorplan is about the best going, especially for empty nesters. We had two criteria; a separate full bathroom and space and the 30SK met them.

Thanks again for all your help.
Anytime!

Happy Cruisering!!
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote