Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Seriously, how many of you wax/treat etc. the outside of your 5er? I'm reading about all kinds of Poli-coatings and waxes that people use; one for on the decals and one for on the rest of the exterior. Some make bug removal easier etc. It just seems to me like waxing a 5er would take a very long time; wax on, wax off and my elbows would begin to hurt. I still work full-time (56 hours/wk). I don't really want to spend my spare time waxing this trailer, however, I do take really good care of my vehicles etc. and want this 5er to last a very long time.

What do you recommend?

I appreciate your time and wisdom.

Greg

2011 Cruiser Cf325CKP
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Our rig gets "ONE" wax job a year! Usually. I don't use anything fancy, just good old turtle wax. I have a very inexpensive wax applicator I purchased at Farm & Fleet for about $25. Has the wax pad for putting wax on and buffing pad for taking it off and polishing. It takes not quite a day. (I don't work very fast). I know some of the guys say they use wax on the fiberglass and another product on the decals. Not me. It all gets covered with turtle wax. So far I haven't had any issues with my decals.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yep, I also wax mine once per year. I use a marine grade wax specially formulated for the "High Gloss" gel package that is on my camper. I usually wax the cap a few times per year, helps with bug removal...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I also do it once a year and use a wax made for fiberglass coatings. Most of the decals still look good except one which is cracking but only the side that faces the daily sun. Interestingly it is only the gold decal. The others are fine. I tried a Rain-X product specifically made for RV front caps but it didn't make any difference. Those "bugs" were still hard to clean off!

I don't wax under the overhang or the sides of the slideouts. Whatever that plastic stuff is, it didn't like the wax I was using.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Mine gets washed when it don't look good or has mud on it.I have used protectall on this one time in two years and I keep it in the shed out of the rain and sun when not being used and it looks as good as anyone elses that spends weeks on theirs.I try to keep it camping and thats a good reason not to wax it.I do use BugBgone on the cap to remove the bugs and it works very well.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I use a wash and wax combo, but I wash mine about 3 times a year. It works good and I use a long handled brush that is made for RV's. I also use Bug-B-Gone on the front cap and it does work for me too.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I too wax mine once a year with New Finish wax easy on and easy off the wife does the bottom half and I do the top half on the ladder and takes about 4 hours to wash and wax. Then after that I use a wash and wax soap so not to much time spent on the care of the unit.

2012 Cruiser CF335SS
cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I use Liquid Glass at least once a year. It has UV protection and the black streaks usually wipe right off.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I wash the roof three times a year,I wax the 5er in the spring and in the fall, the last six years the 5er still looks new. But I am still pretty young yet I will be 65 in June probably only have twenty more years left.

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote