Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Caulk repair

Hello, So I washed the roof of the trailer today. I noticed two small spots where the caulk has cracked (about an inch) in the top corners where the roof meets the sides. The cracks are in the middle of glob of caulk itself (if that makes sense). I don't currently have any leaks but hoping to keep it that way. The rest of the caulking looks to be in really good shape. For these small areas do you guys notch out the crack, clean really well with rubbing alcohol and fill with new caulk? Am I on the right track with this approach? Thank you!
4X4, 3.73 gears, 6.4 gas engine
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Team

I and many others, prefer to seal all seams with Eternabond tape. It seals extremely well and will last a very long time.

Here is one source: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_16as4u1wcz_e

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #3
New Camper

For holes in the roof ect... ETERNABOND Tape is wonderful, but for bolt/screw heads and filling a seam, DICOR LAP SEAL is the fix. It is formulated for an EDPM or a TPO roof. It also comes in three colors and available thru amazon.

I carry a roll of eterna bond to driving and maybe tree limb dammage!!!
islander32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I agree with Dicor. It is self leveling so it will seal small cracks very well. And you don’t need to smooth out like bathroom or window chalk. Works great. I clean and re-chalk every year where needed.
Mjumper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Site Team

I have to disagree on using the Dicor on the seams. The Eternabond comes in different widths and does a permanent job of sealing the seams. It's once and done. The Dicor is great for around windows and side molding. But even on the roof vents and any other protrusion through the roof, I use the Eternabond. It also comes in colors.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote