Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

changing attwood thermostat

When at a full hook up site, I like to leave my hot water heater on electric during the entire trip...since it's free electricity right?

After a while my hot water heater starts to drip out of the brass pressure release valve and make a small puddle on the ground. My last trailer didn't do this. Just curious:

-Is my pressure release valve bad?
-Should I change my thermostat to a lower temperature if it will reduce some pressure?
-Is this normal and don't worry about it?

Thank you.
BMVillines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My guess would be the valve is bad (weak spring or debris in seal). Have you checked the actual temp after it heats up? They used to be set for 140 but not positive on the newer models. The PRV is easy to replace and cheap. Sometimes you can lift the lever to flush them out a bit but this doesn't always work (don't scald yourself). It may be just better to replace it.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Gone Traveling

I would agree, try flipping the lever on the relief (turn off heater & let cool down first) to flush the scale out, my last 5er did the same & I flushed it out & was still not leaking 2 years later when I traded it off, if not replace the relief valve.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I would guess you have lost the air pocket in the HW tank. As the water heats up it expands and without an air pocket the pressure forces the relief valve to bleed off. Turn your water supply off, open a hot water valve in the trailer, and open the pressure relief valve. Close the relief valve, the hot water valve and turn the water back on. That should reestablish the air pocket.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote