Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Changing out the water filter

Boy,
I decided to now change out the water filter after a couple of years. We don't drink the water out of our fresh water tanks but I do regularly add a teaspoon or two of bleach periodically to reduce any potential "growth" in the tanks.

However, after I pulled the filter canister out from the basement, whew, I could smell the residual water in the canister and it wasn't pretty. There was some residual that also had settled out at the bottom.

The filter is a typical carbon paper type and I know it's really a twice a year replacement item that sometimes gets forgotten.

I decided that since we don't drink this water, I replaced with a sediment type filter only, figuring I could go a year at a time without replacing.

What timeframe do most of you use when changing these out?

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't have the built in filter like you have. I made a little stand to set outside that holds the whole house filter I use. I hook up to water faucet, run it to the filter then in to the camper. Depending if we are going home when we leave there (I toss it) or to the next campground, I will keep it and use it over. Depending on the water at that particular campground, I will use either a charcoal filter, or just a plain sediment filter.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't have the built in filter like you have. I made a little stand to set outside that holds the whole house filter I use. I hook up to water faucet, run it to the filter then in to the camper. Depending if we are going home when we leave there (I toss it) or to the next campground, I will keep it and use it over. Depending on the water at that particular campground, I will use either a charcoal filter, or just a plain sediment filter.
x2. irregardless of which kind, you should always take cartridge out if you will not be usung trailer for a while ,let it dry out.you could then reassamble it to be ready for next trip. /this way you will NOT get that funky smell OP talked about.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

At the start of the camping season I change the water filter. Now that I am here in Washington and the pink stuff is in the lines I have already removed it. Before I replace it I will dump some bleach in the main water tank and run that through the lines to flush out any growth. If I was full timing I think I would change it more often like the ice filter at the house
Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I use the inline filters. I always keep an extra but change every spring and if pressure/flow becomes an issue.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I use the inline filters. I always keep an extra but change every spring and if pressure/flow becomes an issue.
X2! We also use a Brita water filter inside the unit.

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447
Like Lloyd I have the whole house filters that I put in a stand outside after hooking up to campground water. I have a micron sediment filter, followed by a carbon filter. We also use a Brita inside for coffee water.

Travel well, travel safe,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator447 View Post
Like Lloyd I have the whole house filters that I put in a stand outside after hooking up to campground water. I have a micron sediment filter, followed by a carbon filter. We also use a Brita inside for coffee water.

Travel well, travel safe,
Jim
I like that set up, knowing your drinking water is not tank water and plenty of it.
Even when hooked up, we still bring 2 gallon plastic containers of drinking water instead of using the hook up water.
If We really needed to use our tank water, I'd buy an actual charcoal replacement filter, not the charcoal "lined" filter paper type or the sediment type I just installed.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote