Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We currently have 205 75R14 tires on our sunset trail. I was thinking of changing to Maxxis Bravo Series 205-80R14 tires. Anyone else make this same switch in size? I think it should fit the same rims, but I have not researched that completely. I want to stay with the 14 inch rims and this tire has a higher load rating. Also, I may have to order them, since it seems that a lot of places don't have this size in stock.

Any other thoughts? I really do not want to fork over money for new/larger rims, but I would like to get tires with the best laod rating I can.

Thanks

ronhuntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I would stick with what is easy to replace, in case of a failure on a trip you want to get your tire replaced ASAP. I'm sure that the manufacturer has put a tire on that will handle the load. Don't know about tire to rim fit.

LT22BH EQ2 Tekonsha Prodigy P2

Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I would stick with what is easy to replace, in case of a failure on a trip you want to get your tire replaced ASAP.

That is a good point. I have not thought of that. The tires I have, ST205-75R14, are about 200 lbs total (for all 4)over what I calculate is the minimum, but I am looking for any 'extra' saftey factor I can get without changing rims.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
Site Team

This is for the 205/80R/14 over the 205/75R/14
Sidewall height --- +.41 in.
Sidewall width --- same
overall diameter --- .8
circumference --- 2.53 in.
These specs are from discount tire.
Ask a local tire shop if they will fit your present rims. I would think they should.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Have you thought of going from a C to a D or E rating in the same size. I don't know that they make that size in a higher load rating, but thought I would mention this. I have been looking for tires for my FW in a 225/75/15 E and am having trouble finding any in a name I understand. The Maxxis is very hard to come by in this area and the Goodyear aren't easy to find in a E either. They are all made in China except Maxxis and its Thiland made from what the web site says.So I'm going with a China made that the dealer has been selling for 3-4 years with out any or many problems.Good luck on your hunt.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I am seiously considering going from load range D to E. Sure, there is extra load carrying capacity, at the max tire pressure. 65 psi for D and 80 for E. However, the wheels also carry a maximum rated air pressure as well. Usually marked on the wheel somewhere. I really don't think there would be an issue running 80psi on a wheel rated at 65psi. I have not heard of a wheel failure either. Just wanted to give this info about wheel pressure ratings.
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Yep, my whole intention was to try to go from a C rated to a D rated, and the only option without going up in rim size, is the Maxxis 205 80r14 (that I know of). And I think I can use the same rims. The maxpressure is the same, so that should not be an issue. Most of the feedback I see seems to indicate that the Maxxis tires are much more reliable than most others.

Maybe I should clarify? The Maxxis in 205 80r14 is actually an LT (light truck) tire. I don't know if they list it as a "D" rated tire, but the weight rating is higher than the ST205-75R14 tire which is "C" rated.Edited by: ronhuntfish
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I just checked the wheels on our CTX. Max load is 2830 lbs. Which is exactly the same as Maxxis load range E 225/75r15 trailer tires. The tires that came with it are D and have a max load of 2540. There was no max air pressure spec. Gonna go with the Es.

Check the max load the tires you are considering. Compare to the ones you will be replacing. Never go down in load capacity.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman
I just checked the wheels on our CTX. Max load is 2830 lbs. Which is exactly the same as Maxxis load range E 225/75r15 trailer tires. The tires that came with it are D and have a max load of 2540. There was no max air pressure spec. Gonna go with the Es.

Check the max load the tires you are considering. Compare to the ones you will be replacing. Never go down in load capacity.
The max pressure is inside the wheel.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman

The max pressure is inside the wheel.

The 2830 lb spec is on the inside of one of the "spokes". Along with the 15x6 on another spoke, and "MADE IN CHINA" on another. No other markings on the wheel. The wheels are alloy. Unless the max pressure is where the tire is mounted, it does not exist on the wheel that I inspected.

On a previous trailer, the wheels did have max pressure specs, but not max load specs as I recall.Edited by: ntrsandman
Old 02-25-2011, 05:35 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Should be inside the tire area of the wheel printed on a sticker.