Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

China Bombs?

Our 2017 Z-1 Lite has two original like new tires (single axle) and one spare. They are Castle Rock manufactured, less than 1,000 miles on them. Are these China Bombs you all discussed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190929_175054.jpg (184.4 KB, 23 views)
Nashville68Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

I believe some refer to them as "China Bombs" because they are made overseas and some have had them blow out. The main things to watch is your tire pressure and when not in use as in between trips and for the winter it helps to keep them covered.

That being said with a single axle trailer if you blow out a tire it could become a handful. As far as the Chinese made tires being bad i have had name brand tires come apart and wore out off brand tires. If you are worried about there reputation then by all means replace them. Maybe they will give you some thing for them on the new ones. It would not hurt to go up to the next higher rating. Keep a eye on the tire pressure check them cold. And i also advise getting a spare tire cover if you do not have one already.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

China bombs have been known to explode even on the back as a spare ( never been on the ground). Do yourself a favor and invest in Goodyear Endurance tires. Sell the others for a small trailer tire. I used mine on my 5x8 trailer that I only use locally.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

This following is no assurance that your new tires of any manufacture would blow up just by looking at them. (Suggested by my attorney)

The tires that came on our new 2010 Cruiser wore down quickly and we brought this to the dealer’s attention. They consulted with their tire supplier and Tow Max tires with an E load rating were suggested and installed. They wore like iron compared to the original tires. Last fall we broke a spring and even-though the old Tow Max tires were sliding down the road and throwing chunks of rubber they never failed us. We replaced all 4 tires with new Tow Max this time with F load rating (along with 4 new springs, 2 Equaflex and shackle parts). We just returned from a 4,700 mile vacation down hot I-90 pavement and over several mountain passes with no problems. Pressures increased when hot by about 8 psi.
Note: We have Tire Minders on all of our tires. The pressure on all tires is close to maximum. We avoid road hazards, detours and curbs. We also check torque about every 1,000 miles and at fuel stops I often check the temperature of the spindles and temperatures reported by the Tire Minder display.
OH! 65 mph is my cruising speed. That guy that blew my doors off on I-90 while towing his 5th wheel with this wheel fenders already tore up from the last blowout is looking for a repeat performance.

I sure hope that I didn’t jinx myself.
Old 10-04-2019, 05:04 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Towing speed

Many RV'rs don't know/care about the 65mph speed limit. But one of the plus's of the Goodyear Endurance is the increase in tow speed above 65!
Old 10-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Tow Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpres View Post
Many RV'rs don't know/care about the 65mph speed limit. But one of the plus's of the Goodyear Endurance is the increase in tow speed above 65!
As are the Load Rated F Tow Max @ 75 mph.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Check the date code on your tires also. Just because your trailer is a 2017 doesn't mean your tires aren't older. While the tire had little wear and no signs of aging, this blew sitting in the drive 10 minutes after getting home. It was an 8 year old tire(my bad). By the way I did replace them with Goodyear Endurance tires and moved up to an E-rating
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

OK, I'll order the Good Year Endurance, thanks.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville68Bird View Post
OK, I'll order the Good Year Endurance, thanks.
Replace the spare also.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I can attest to them sorry castle rock china bombs on my Z1 lite single axle rv trailer. one blowout on interstate 59 here in ms. got 2 new Goodyear endurance tires for trip to Albuquerque New Mexico, may of 2018. stayed at a rv park there, went one day to the daughters house and while we were gone, my spare (castle rock) which was the new tire on the bumper blowed out while mounted to the spare tire carrier. what a joke! wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. so I went to discount tire and bought one more Goodyear Endurance for the spare tire carrier. China tires are crap!
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Tom, it was great speaking with you today, my friend! Thank you for all of the advice and the insight. Look forward to many more conversations down the road.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Z1 Lite

Same here Buddy. Many miles of safe RVing to ya. Just give us a holler if we can help with any info or advise. Take Care
Old 10-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thats the one.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Keep the proper pressure, check the tread on occasion, and don't speed (know the limit for the tires you have - probably 65) - I'd just drive 'em.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I believe it.... had a new china tire on the spare tire rack and it blew apart while the camper was sitting in the yard at the house.
Just got new Good Years on it about 2 months ago.
mossyoak1957 is offline   Reply With Quote