Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I was reading where some are cleaning the front cap with Scrubbing Bubbles. Has anyone checked with with the mfg. if Scrubbing Bubbles is compatible with the material used on the front cap?

The reason I ask is the knob on our shower cracked and I called the mfg. and the first thing they ask - do we use Scrubbing Bubbles to clean with and I replied yes and they informed us to not use SB because it would cause premature wear.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Team

A little Solvit mixed with my wash soap. I have never found an "easy" way to do it. Just gotta bite the bullet and have at it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Old Farmer, you are correct I have not found an easy way to clean the front cap, as I said someone was cleaning the front cap with Scrubbing Bubbles and I was asking ifthey had checked and seen if compatible with the material used on the front cap as I would not want to see someone have failure with the skin on the unit.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

My front cap normally includes a lot of bugs. I have found that a good wax job will help make removing bugs easier. I use warm water only to clean the cap. I first get an area wet and keep it wet for a short while. I then put some elbow into the bugs and they come right off. Getting the bugs softened up with water is my key.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

The best product I have found to clean the camper is called Fukken Wax. Its a cleaner/wax. It works very good on bugs,tar,black streaks, just about anything. It leaves a real nice shine. I buy it by the case now and don't leave home without a couple of cans in my camper.

Chris & Karen- Heyworth, Illinois
2009 CF32BL pulled by a 2011 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
PullRite Superglide 18K hitch
2015stats:
Nights: 28
Miles: 3245
longhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

This has been kicked around quite a bit in the last several years. The major consenus is that
Dawn dish washing soap works real good. I've used it since day one. That's what a major portion of the high volume truck stops use.
One step I find that makes the bugs come offsome what easier is to soap it down, let it set for three or four minutes then wash it off. You may have to go over the cap a second time.

For real tough spots I spray it down with "Awesome" liquid and take a bug pad thats used on the windshield and rub it lightly until the bugs off. I bought a half gal (64 oz.) at Dollar General for about $3.
There's no easy way, the longer you let the bugs stay on, the harder to remove.
greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

My wax guy said not to use the chemicals (like bug remover). He gave me a pad (same type of material as a floatie but a little more porus). It works really well. We just washed a ton of bugs off the cap and it got them off well. Just used RV wash soap and a ton of water. It was the easiest cap wash we have done.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeagle

This has been kicked around quite a bit in the last several years. The major consenus is that
Dawn dish washing soap works real good. I've used it since day one. That's what a major portion of the high volume truck stops use.
One step I find that makes the bugs come offsome what easier is to soap it down, let it set for three or four minutes then wash it off. You may have to go over the cap a second time.

For real tough spots I spray it down with "Awesome" liquid and take a bug pad thats used on the windshield and rub it lightly until the bugs off. I bought a half gal (64 oz.) at Dollar General for about $3.
There's no easy way, the longer you let the bugs stay on, the harder to remove.
Awesome is the greatest product ever invented to clean the front of a trailer. The first couple of times I used it I assumed anything that good would eventually remove the gelcoat finish. I have run into several folks that use it to wash their entire trailer and never had a problem. Just squirt a little on a bug stain or black streak and rub off with sponge/rag. Then rinse with water. If this stuff was any cheaper at Dollar General they would pay us to come get it.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote