Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I own a 08 mk-33 toy hauler, and the Co2 monitor is located above the window (opposite the bedroom slide). When we use the Generator for power, the monitor alarm beeps loudly several times unless I turn on a fan or open a vent. The exhaust pipe for the generator is below the bedroom slide, and I am assuming the exhaust is the reason the alarm goes off.
My question is this, What can I do to stop the monitor from beeping? I have thought about putting a 90* elbow on the end of the exhaust pipe, and routing the exhaust either up and over the coach, or flowing it back toward the tires. But I am not sure if re-routing the exhaust will affect the generators performance.
Has anyone else had this problem? or have any idea's on resolving this issue?
I am just taking out the batteries right now, but I realize this could be dangerous, and I want to fix the problem right.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Steven Rees

2011 Chevy Siverado 2500w/Duramax Diesel

2013 Elevation 3612
stevenrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't know what your setup looks like, or exactly how things are situated without pictures.
I had similar situation with our Lance truck camper. What I did to remedy the problem was to extend the exhaust pipe away from the camper when we were setup and using the generator. I had a 10ft. length of stainless steel flex pipe. Didn't hurt the generator or it's performance.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

The CO2 alarm goes off telling you there is a CO2 problem and your fix is to remove the batteries? IMHO that's not very smart.

You need to figure out where the exhaust is coming into the trailer from, my guess would be the bottom of the slide. Then route the exhaust away from that area. The gen is not a high performance engine and won't notice a longer exhaust line. I wouldn't route it anywhere under the trailer, it'll just find another way in. 10' of flexible exhaust line will get it away from the trailer or at least the other side and pointed away from the trailer.

Meanwhile, leave the batteries in. They're trying to save your life.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I believe you are talking about a CO detector, not a Co2 detector. CO is deadly. Please, don't solve the problem by taking the batteries out of the detector. Can the generator be moved or is it permanently mounted. If it is permanently mounted then you need to route the exhaust away from the trailer. You could contact the generator manufacturer to see if they have a kit for this purpose or use a flexible metal hose and devise a method to attach it to the existing exhaust. If it is permanently mounted I would also contact the manufacturer of the trailer as this is a serious design flaw.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Avvidclif,
I suppose that I should have been more specific in my post.
I meant to say that I took the batteries out to shut it off, ----after I turned on a fan AND opened a vent to the bedroom.
I always return the batteries to the monitor after I vented the bedroom, and keep them in 24 / 7
My origional reason for the post was to find out what others have done with their generator exhaust to solve the problem.
Obviously I do not want to endanger anybody's life.
I willmake sure my posts are clearbefore I post them in the future.
Thank You for bringing it to my attention.

Steve Rees

2011 Chevy Siverado 2500w/Duramax Diesel

2013 Elevation 3612
stevenrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

There is a pipe called a "vent-uri"? tube from CW that is designed to fow the exaust up above the trailer. It looks to be a temperary set-up. I like Lloyd's (Old Farmer) idea cheap and easy.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenrees

Avvidclif,
I suppose that I should have been more specific in my post.
Â*I meant to say that I took the batteries out to shut it off, ----after I turned on a fan AND opened a vent to the bedroom.Â*
Â*I always return the batteries to the monitor after I vented the bedroom, and keep them in 24 / 7
My origional reason for the post was to find out what others have done with their generator exhaust to solve the problem.
Obviously I do not want to endanger anybody's life.
I willÂ*make sure my posts are clearÂ*before I post them in the future.
Â*Thank You for bringing it to my attention.
Â*
Steve Rees

My apologies as I didn't understand exactly what you were doing in regards to the batteries. Better to be safe than sorry.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote