Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
Condensation/Moisture between slide and floor

Hi All, I have a '15 Sunset Trail SF32RL 5th wheel and experienced a strange thing early in the spring and again this weekend. When I opened the kitchen slide I am finding moisture between the floor of the trailer and the bottom of the slide near the fireplace. In the spring it was under the complete slide when we opened the slide for the first time in the spring. I've checked all the seals and seams around the slide and they look good. Any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated. Thanks, John

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Site Team

That's an odd one.
What comes to mind is---how damp or moist is it where you have the trailer sitting/stored?
Is the membrane on the bottom still intact?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Is the 5er leaning away from the kitchen slide?
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Team

Have you tried taking a hose and with the slide closed spraying water above the slide so it runs down to the slide seals to simulate a rain shower? Then wait a while and open the slide and check for any moisture. Might give you a place to start. Also do you have vent covers on the roof vents? We leave ours open in the winter a bit to help circulate the air and help with condensation.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
The trailer is stored and level in my driveway all year when not out camping. Besides the normal dew and frost during the winter/spring seasons. I checked all the seals and the membrane on the slide. Haven't looked at the underbelly panels yet. Haven't noticed any water getting inside or under the slide after giving the trailer it's bath when we get home from our trips. I'll have to give another look after the rain that's coming this weekend. I do have a cover over the roof vent in the bathroom (it's the only vent in the trailer) and do keep it open about an inch while in storage. It only started this spring when we opened the trailer for the 1st time and hasn't happened again until this weekend. The slide floor has about 1/2 to 3/4" gap between the two floors. It's the same on both slides. Does anyone think it can be cold air getting in around the fireplace and causing a difference in temps between the slide and inside of the camper?

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL

Old 10-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I don't know the layout of that model, or what type of refrigerator it uses, but I had a thought.. what about the possibility of the fridge drain hose being out of place, and dumping under the slide?
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Wingerdinger - The fridge is on the other side of the trailer. So far with all the rain we had over the weekend there was no condensation found. It also hasn't gotten below 45* at night either. I'll have to keep checking on it over the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL

Old 10-29-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Just a thought, but something worth a check, is the outside kitchen sink, put a bowl under it to see if it drips a little water, with the stopper in it, PLUS also when you allow the water to drain.. I mention this as last summer our outside kitchen was dripping only when allowing the water to drain, and not when the stopper was in place. PLUS when I researched and repaired my situation the HepvO waterless P-trap was also installed upside-down, I realize you have a different trailer but worth the time to check, My leak was even a little tricky to detect as until I reached right to the back of the cupboard no moisture was evident, then it took a while to figure out where it was coming from, Once found the fix was fairly simple, Turned the waterless p-trap the right side up, and since the hose used is so stiff I gave that the proper conture and retightened everything as it should be, problem was solved, no expense just needed a little fine tuning. and I may have added some Vaseline to get a tighter seal with the plastic threaded donuts that hold things together.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Aceallenk, Actually I put shutoff valves in the those water lines and do not use the outside sink. I had them open slightly during one trip a few years ago and the faucet was dripping. I couldn't figure out why my gray tank was full after only one day of camping. Luckily it didn't overflow. I am not getting any water in that compartment. It's mostly under the slide where the fireplace is.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL