Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Considering a TPMS

I have been considering a TPMS for some time now but just haven't been able to make the commitment do to the price. Well I have finally decided to make the commitment and I have been seriously looking at the TST 510 system. I have a few questions and I'm hopping people on here could help me.

First off I know there are a lot of you on here that are using the TST 507 but is anyone using the TST 510?

Second, if you do have the 510 did you have to use the long antenna or a repeater? For you that use the 507 (I don't think this one comes with the longer antenna), did you have to use a repeater?

Thanks for any help!

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have the Tireminder system. comes with the repeater. works like a champ no issues except for sometimes i get interference and it trips the alarm on my trucks OEM TPMS.

Got it here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
We have the Tireminder system. comes with the repeater. works like a champ no issues except for sometimes i get interference and it trips the alarm on my trucks OEM TPMS.
Thanks for the info. That is one I have looked at but more interested in the TST 510.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 06-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Site Team

I have the 507. Wondering why you are thinking of the 510? I can't off hand remember what the difference is between them?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I have the 507 without a repeater and no loss of signal in 4000+ miles.
Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have the 507. Wondering why you are thinking of the 510? I can't off hand remember what the difference is between them?
The 507 has user replaceable batteries, 510 has to be returned to mfg. for replacement. I'm well satisfied with the 507.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

I have a 40' 5er behind a long bed crew cab & no repeater needed with the 507. Been using it for 4 1/2 years & 40-60k miles & have only replaced 5-6 of the 10 batteries which are user replaceable.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I have the 507 and same size trailer as you, and no repeater needed. I am very satisfied with it. Just changed the batteries on it the other day in prep for a long trip. Easy to do, cost around $20 for all 4.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it! From your replies and from what I have read on other forums it sounds like I might need the repeater which makes the purchase a little less expensive.

Quote:
Lloyd, as for the difference like Russb said the 510 sensors batteries are not user replaceable but are suppose to have a life of 5 years plus. The screen is a little different and it comes with an extension antenna that can be located farther to the back of the truck to help with reception instead of purchasing a repeater.

I have not ruled out using the 507, the one thing that I am weighing out is the cost between the two. I have been able to find the 510 with 8 no pass thru sensors for about $40.00 less than the 507 with 8 no pass thru sensors. Both of them have all the same features it just comes down to cost and which would be cheaper in the long run. And after doing some figuring last night even with the higher initial cost the 507 would probably be the most cost effective over time. The one thing I was concerned about was having to purchase the repeater. And the majority of the people I have heard from that are using the TST brand be it the 507 or 510 have said they didn't need the repeater.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 06-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it! From your replies and from what I have read on other forums it sounds like I might need the repeater which makes the purchase a little less expensive.

Lloyd, as for the difference like Russb said the 510 sensors batteries are not user replaceable but are suppose to have a life of 5 years plus. The screen is a little different and it comes with an extension antenna that can be located farther to the back of the truck to help with reception instead of purchasing a repeater.

I have not ruled out using the 507, the one thing that I am weighing out is the cost between the two. I have been able to find the 510 with 8 no pass thru sensors for about $40.00 less than the 507 with 8 no pass thru sensors. Both of them have all the same features it just comes down to cost and which would be cheaper in the long run. And after doing some figuring last night even with the higher initial cost the 507 would probably be the most cost effective over time. The one thing I was concerned about was having to purchase the repeater. And the majority of the people I have heard from that are using the TST brand be it the 507 or 510 have said they didn't need the repeater.
I ordered the 507 and thought I ordered the non-pass through, but I got the pass through. So don't be like me and accidentally order the wrong one. Triple check your order.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbie View Post
I ordered the 507 and thought I ordered the non-pass through, but I got the pass through. So don't be like me and accidentally order the wrong one. Triple check your order.
I know! A couple of the placed I looked at only offered the pass thru.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
Gone Traveling

The next expense you'll have, if you don't already have them, is to be sure all tires that you're adding sensors to have metal valve stems, if not you'll be testing the system a lot sooner than expected when the rubber stems start leaking.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

There is no warning when the batteries need replacing. The reason I like the 507 is being able to replace the battery and not have to wait for the mfg. to send a replacement. My 507 came with an antenna extension which was not needed.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 06-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The next expense you'll have, if you don't already have them, is to be sure all tires that you're adding sensors to have metal valve stems, if not you'll be testing the system a lot sooner than expected when the rubber stems start leaking.
Already have metal valve stems on both truck and trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
There is no warning when the batteries need replacing. The reason I like the 507 is being able to replace the battery and not have to wait for the mfg. to send a replacement. My 507 came with an antenna extension which was not needed.
That was something I was considering also with having a battery go dead while traveling. That's good to know about it coming with the extension.
Thanks!

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Phil, if you haven't ordered yet, this link is where I got mine. He's a great guy, and seems to be available all the time to answer questions and help.
I got the exterior antenna when I ordered. The last pos I had needed it, and I wasn't taking any chances.

Great RV Products - tire monitoring and tire pressure, rv and automotive, tire safety products
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Phil, if you haven't ordered yet, this link is where I got mine. He's a great guy, and seems to be available all the time to answer questions and help.
I got the exterior antenna when I ordered. The last pos I had needed it, and I wasn't taking any chances.

Great RV Products - tire monitoring and tire pressure, rv and automotive, tire safety products
I sent an email at 9:05 pm cst asking about how to set the upper psi limit when my tires have 60 psi in them and the unit couldn't go lower than 100 psi. I had a response within an hour. Great customer service, which I think is hard to find these days.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

Quote:

Thanks Lloyd, that is who I was looking at to order from.

Phil & Janine
2014 Cruiser 333RL
Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russb View Post
My mistake, My original 510 came with the antenna. I replaced the 510 with the 507 and it didn't include the antenna. I was having a problem with the 510 out of warranty and the factory gave me a deal to trade for the 507.
2009 F-150XLT
Old 06-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

If you haven't ordered yet, they are coming out with a new monitor in August. It's a colour screen but more importantly (at least until I see how they're taking advantage of the colour etc., and of course this is just in my opinion) the power will be supplied via a standard micro-USB connection. I think that's a great change, so it can be powered by the usual cables you probably already have in the TV for your smartphone etc. It will be compatible with existing sensors too, so if need just a new monitor this is still an option. I'm hoping that they will also offer a reasonable trade-in upgrade option.

If you haven't bought yet, this may also impact the price of the existing monitors in your favour, depending on the price point of the new version.
Prev.: '05 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
CenterLine HD (original)
1 wife, 5 kids, 1 rescue lab-mix
FezUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

I too am looking to get a TPMS. I just replaced my China Bombs with the Goodyear Endurance tires this week. I've also ordered a new TV (Silverado 2500 HD-Gas). I assume most new trucks come with a TPMS standard or as an option. I wish the manufacturers would make the truck units expandable, so you could just buy the sensors for the tires on whatever you are towing and add them to the OEM system. My reasoning is that, having just gotten a new TV, it would be nice to not have to add another aftermarket display. So I got to thinking, and then did some looking, and came across this:

https://tireminder.com/product/tirem...aches-trailers

It is a "smart TPMS" that converts the TPMS signal to Bluetooth. You download the app, then pair your apple or android device to it, and your phone, tablet, etc. becomes the display, without needing a separate on cluttering up my new dashboard.

This seems like a good solution to me. Have any of you had any experiences with this type of system? You can get it (the 4 sensor version) from Amazon or Camping World for $339.00. I think this is the way I'm going, unless I hear bad things from this forum. Thanks for any feedback!
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
smw57 is offline   Reply With Quote