Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Controlling Moisture When Stored

Hey Folks,

We live in Florida and high humidity is a HUGE problem! I always put a Damp Rid in there before we lock it up - whether it's going to be sitting for 2 months or 5. We also have 2 vents that we leave open (covered with AirMax covers). But it just isn't enough. The place where we store the camper is covered but still open air.

The last couple times we picked up the camper to prepare for a trip, all surfaces had some level of mold on it. We cleaned the whole thing with bleach and water, fans and lots of air flow! But I can only have the camper hooked up to power when we are leaving on a trip, and then it an only be curbside for 24-48 hours. This moisture is a huge problem which could eventually create a plethora of problems.

Anyone have any suggestions for handling MORE moisture than a tub of Damp Rid can handle? Should I try an industrial size tub of Damp Rid? Should I change my Damp Rid once a month? Anyone had any success with kitty litter or anything similar? Looking for suggestions. We do not have access to power so a humidifier and/or fan are out.

Thank you!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Vents work both ways. Lets moisture out and also lets moisture and humid air in. I would keep them closed. Then try the large Damp Rid which I believe you will have to replace every month.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Good point, Mark. I have heard so much preaching about ventilation, but what you said has always been in my mind...I'm just letting the humid air in! Shutting it down (especially in the more humid months...and for some weird reason it's really humid in the middle of December) and refreshing my Damp Rid more often is certainly worth a try. Thanks!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

As far as cleaning and preventing more mildew, I've used obex cleaner with good results. their website, OBEX PROTECT BOAT, RV AND OUTDOOR GEAR FROM MOLD AND ODOR, A little pricey, but like I said, good results in cleaning and preventing mold and mildew.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:20 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We stay in an RV park in Florida for the winter. There are a number of permanent units here in the park. People use different approaches here to deal with the summer moisture in their permanent units while they are up north for the summer.

One guy I know uses a large tub with a screen on top and a desiccant (like Damp Rd) on top. The water collects in the bottom of the tub. Others put out pans of kitty litter, but you have to get the right type as there are many different types. Some run their a/c all summer, but I guess that option is not available to you.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Your house in Fl will get moldy too without drying. I left the a/c on too warm when I left once and came back to mold and mustiness. Now I leave a dehumidifier in the bathtub when we leave. I put a dehu in the 5th wheel and leave it run all the time, draining into one of the drains. I can monitor it by watching the grey water drain drip. Of course that's not an option if power is not available.
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote