Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Converter Fan runs continously

This weekend we were camping in some cold temps and were running a space heater along with our camper furnace. We ran out of propane and after I turned off the furnace, I noticed that the converter fan was running and it ran all night and the next day continuously. It did shut off after I shut off the fridge. HELP....want would cause the fan to run continuously (it has never done that before)???
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The fan runs whenever there is a high use of current and the converter is recharging the battery. Mine used to run after only turning on a few liv room lights and the fridge. The more you use the faster the fan will run. If your battery was low or you were using a lot of lights, furnace tv etc the fan will run. I swapped out my lights for all LED bulbs and I have not heard the fan at all since. Hearing the fan is normal.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Same here, changed to all LED light bulbs and never hear the converter fan run. Used to run all the time with lights on using incandescent bulbs.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

a few causes

The converter is under a load by or some 12dcV device.
The converter is under a load by a failing battery.
The converter is bad.

When our converter was failing (the 12dcV light would flicker) the technician at the converter manufacturer had us disconnect the battery to see if the condition went away. You might want to call the converter manufacturer. Ours was very helpful.

I suspect that you could very carefully disconnect your battery and then power your converter. If the fan no longer runs continuously then your battery is the culprit. If the converter continues to run then some 12dcV device is pulling a load. I would start pulling 12dcV fuses. If the condition continues the converter may be bad.

Converters HATE short circuits such as wiring your battery incorrectly. We pushed the umbilical cord into the pin box and some how shorted the hot 12dcV lead for only a second. 2 weeks later it cost us a new Converter.