Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2008 Hampton. I had both the fuses blow out on the converter. The two fuses are 35 amp blade. We drove over 100 miles round trip looking for 35 amp fuses. We were told there is no such thing, until I showed it to them. We went to NAPA, Car Quest, Ace Hardware, Walmart, and even a RV dealer/service. Nothing!! This wasted 1/2 of our vacation day. We ended up putting in 30 amp fuses. Never want to go larger!

What caused thses to fail? What I found was the positive wire connector on the batter was not crimped properly RIGHT FROM THE FACTORY!! That task must have been done on either a Monday or Friday. The two days out of a work week, with poor quality. Coming to find out, this trailer must have been completely worked on one of those days.

I think the wire was arcing and caused the fuses to blow. But what has me puzzled, is not able to find a 35 amp fuse.

Any input from anyone on this??
campingWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If the positive lead had come loose at the battery, it easily could have shorted the converter output to ground and blown the fuses. As far as the 30 amp vs the 35 amp fuse, I don't think that it makes a lot of difference, if the fuse is in between the converter and the battery. It just means that you'll only be able to pull 30 amps from the battery to the converter DC circuits instead of 35 amps. I doubt that the poorly crimped wire is a Monday or Friday thing, because I had the same problem on our CF30SK and it was built on a Wednesday. I believe that the real problem is that the assembler who makes the crimps is using the wrong tool. If he/she was using the correct tool, the crimps would not be failing. If the assembler is required to provide his/her own hand tools then it's easy to understand. A regular crimp tool costs about 10 bucks; the proper crimp tool costs about a 100.

I resolved the crimp problem by soldering the connectors to the cables.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I did recrimp the connections. The negative cable was all good, just the positive was bad. I guess the 35 amp fuse is puzzeling. Maybe these 35 amps and collectors. Anyone want to buy them. They are blown, but are vary vary rare!! Thanks for the input George!!
campingWI is offline   Reply With Quote