Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Converter location

Dumb question, but we just pulled home our used 2011 ST25RB Sunset Trail and can someone tell me where I might look to see where I might locate the converter that charges the battery. I assume this is standard equipment and want to make sure this trailer has something like that. Thank You to.
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

NOT a dumb question! Look for your circuit breaker box and the converter is part of that unit.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Stan. Will have to do some research and serious snooping tomorrow in all the nooks and crannies. I have it plugged in so I'm assuming its charging.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

You should be able to hear it running- it has a cooling fan .
87_Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

OK, I'll go check that out right now, lol. Thanks 87Fixer.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I found the converter, the fan came on as soon as I turned on the lights, then went off as soon as I turned them off. So does the fan come on when The converter is working harder and is it safe to assume that its constantly trickle charging the battery till its full charged kinda like a maintainer. Also what kinda Amp would it be charging or would that work almost like a boost that some chargers have that can directly boost a vehicle. Our trailer did.nt get the owner manual but I got it online, but that knowledge isn't written, or I just haven't found that yet. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Yes, it's a maintainer. Usually a pretty low amperage- around 3-5 amps. I don't think the converter would be able to fully charge a dead battery.
87_Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Fixer, I really appreciate your knowledge, right on.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
I found the converter, the fan came on as soon as I turned on the lights, then went off as soon as I turned them off. So does the fan come on when The converter is working harder and is it safe to assume that its constantly trickle charging the battery till its full charged kinda like a maintainer. Also what kinda Amp would it be charging or would that work almost like a boost that some chargers have that can directly boost a vehicle. Our trailer did.nt get the owner manual but I got it online, but that knowledge isn't written, or I just haven't found that yet. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.
Battery recharge time is controlled by many factors, such as battery size, converter output rating the number of 12-volt lights and appliances that are “ON” during the re-charge cycle and how far the battery has been discharged. In our testing a 125-AH (Amp Hour) battery was fully discharged to 10.5-volts and then connected to a PD9160 (60-Amp) Converter/Charger set to our standard output voltage of 13.6-volts. The battery reached full charge in 70-hours.

When the battery reaches full charge, the charging current of the converter drops down to between 20 and 25 milliamps. Batteries will self-discharge themselves at this low rate even when no other 12-volt current loads are present. The converter senses this current loss and automatically replaces this lost current to maintain full battery charge.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Lloyd, got that and understand that. Just one last scenario. When plugged in to AC electrified site, will the converter provide enough DC to keep the lights, water pump, etc, adequate for an extended period of time? Say on one of those dark rainy days and evenings when your spending a long time in the trailer does the converter keep up,, or should a person be extra careful and save that DC power as if it was going extinct in about 3 hours
Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
Site Team

If the converter is working properly, it will not have any problem keeping up. That's it's job.
Full timers sit in one spot for weeks/months, with no problem.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Thanks again Lloyd, That was what I needed to hear, and also what I suspected.