Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
New Camper

Coragated plastic under belly

Has anyone else repaired/replaced their plastic under belly? We have a 2011 sunset trail 26bh and when taking the cover off this spring I noticed the plastic underbelly is cracked and hanging in several places. The dealer said $900 to fix it. I contacted crossroads and they quoted $290 for the roll of plastic with an added $300 in shipping. The shipping is more than the product.. ridiculous. The dealership also suggested " ahh just tear it off you dont need that insulation anyway" are you kidding?

Please help
jnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Site Team

I would definetly replace it. Here's a link.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/48-in-x-...6-BK/205051024

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Gorilla tape works good for me. Make sure the area is clean then put on the tape then i use a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat the tape. Its very hard to remove later. this works for tares or small access points. If it real bad replace it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
New Camper

I thought about the sheets from home depot. Just worried about the seams. I was thinking of aluminum angle iron pieces along the seams. Currently have it gorilla taped up
Old 07-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnolan View Post
I thought about the sheets from home depot. Just worried about the seams. I was thinking of aluminum angle iron pieces along the seams. Currently have it gorilla taped up

Just like dagst1 said, heat the Gorillla tape with a hot air gun and it will seal the seams for good.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks guys for the replies. One more project....
Old 07-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

My RV dealer sold me the stuff by the foot. He also had the tape sold by the roll and it’s very sticky. I had to replace the back 2/3rds of mine as it cracked and ripped apart when I towed it home from storage.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

jnolan
I have the fabric underbelly on my camper...I think I would replace the underbelly with it instead of the plastic if I had to choose between the two of them...IMHO...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
jnolan

I have the fabric underbelly on my camper...I think I would replace the underbelly with it instead of the plastic if I had to choose between the two of them...IMHO...

The replacement stuff I got was much thicker than the original.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnolan View Post
Hi jnolan,

If what you mean by “seams” is that you will have two or three panels from front to back, that can actually be a benefit if you need to get in the underbelly in the future for repair, etc. Then you only have to lower that one panel. The cross member sounds good, and I would overlap each piece with the next piece toward the front to keep water out.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Just finished replacing most of the coroplast on by Sunset Trail Reserve. Replaced all except the black and gray water tank areas. That will be another project and hopefully they hold for a few months yet.

This Spring I checked on the trailer and found a piece of the underbelly hanging down and on further inspection noticed that it was all cracked and split. I removed all the 2mm factory installed coroplast from the front back to the area between the axels. Local RV dealer wanted $3000 CDN to replace, plus anything else they might find. I found a coroplast dealer here that sold 4X8 sheets at $21 each.

Cut out the old and had all the wiring fall out on the ground. Put the wires in split plastic tube and secured them to the frame and repaired some wires that were worn including one I got a good jolt from where it was bare. Have to remember to disconnect the battery next time.

Flexible heat vents were split in a number of locations and had to be replaced. I used metal vent pipe as opposed to the dry vent stuff. I ran them through the webbing on the cross members and secured them so they shouldn't break.

Put the last sheet of coroplast on today and sealed with Gorilla tape. Total cost was around $450 CDN and being retired I don't count my time which was about 1 month long off and on.

It was quite an experience and have a pretty good idea now where all the wires run and have piece of mind that it should last a long time.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Sounds like one of those jobs when every time you look to the side you see something else that needs a little TLC. BUT sounds like a job well done and you can probably add that it's also a hell of a lot better than the job that would have been done for 3 grand plus or call it 4.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
New Camper

Thanks guys for the great responses. Going to go the 4x8 panel route. I'll try to throw a few pics up of the repair to help others.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #14
New Camper

I just replace the underbelly on my Rushmore. it was not to hard. I had 2 of us do it in 4 hers.. lots and lots of screws
mdm5567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I blew a tire a few years back and part of the "gator" tore up my underbelly. I repaired mine with Mobile Home Underbelly Tape that I biught on Ebay. Works great and lasts long. The best part is, it only cost $15.

Full Time 12 Years
First RV in 1980

Semper Fi 63-69
hollardawg45 is offline   Reply With Quote