Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
New Camper

Cords and Hoses

Hello, My wife and I are gearing up while waiting for delivery of a 328SB that we ordered. These forums have been very helpful but we do have some questions. One question is, what lengths of hoses and cords should we have for sewer, water, electric, etc? Thanks!
Mardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We use the cord that came with our trailer for electric most of the time, but we carry a 50' extension and have used it on occasion.

As for hoses, we carry several hoses of different lengths because you never know how much you need. The hoses we use for fresh water (when not in Florida for 3 months) are those light-weight collapsible ones they sell at Home Hardware in Canada (not those funny pocket hose things). We can carry hundreds of feet of those and they are very light. I don't know if the U.S. has a similar product. We just stuff them into a bin for travel.

For the sewer, we have two. One is quite long and heavy duty and we take it to Florida, the other is shorter and lighter which we only use when we are on the road. For rinsing the sewer hose, we have one of those pocket hose things.

A lot of this stuff depends on the type of travel you are planning to do so you have to pack everything accordingly.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Well depends. I've went through many seer hoses over the years until I purchased the Rino hose. They are really tough and I don't foresee ever needing another one unless I loose it. I purchased mine at Walmart. It expands in length but contracts to a smaller hose for storage. I also purchased the long storage hose pvc holder that mounts under outside the camper. I don't have to worry about it smelling because it's kept in the pvc outside. But to answer your question I have the one Rino that I guess extends to 15-20 feet. I also keep a short regular hose in a container to use if I ever use my blue portable dump if we camp at a campground that don't have hookups. Which rarely ever happens anymore. Also get a clear adapter that clicks onto your sewer dump. You then hook your sewer hose to that. The purpose of that is when dumping and rinsing out the black tank you can see what's coming out and know when it's clean. We also carry an adapter cord for extension for power cord.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The clear fitting is a good idea, we use one also. Another great idea, which I learned on this forum, is a Valterra valve. You attach this instead of the end cap on your sewer dump outlet, then put the end cap on the Valterra valve. You keep the Valterra valve closed unless you are dumping. The purpose of it is if one of your grey tanks or your black tank does not close properly, you don't get covered with a smelly surprise when you take the end cap off and prepare to dump. It's a cheap solution to waste tanks not closing properly.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

You will most likely need the dog bone adapters (DO NOT use the hockey puck ones) to step down your power if necessary, if your rv is 50 amp you'll need 50 to 30, if 30 amp get a 30 to 15, you may also want the 30 to 15 female for times you may need just an extension cord.
As far as sewer you may want a Stinky Slinky or some sort of support for your hose as a lot of parks don't want them laying on the ground. I've been using the Viper hoses, which are a more flexible Rhino type , for several years with no problem.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have used the rhino hoses for years. I just picked up the wastemaster system and like it. It is the most heavy duty one you can buy. No coils on the inside so everything flows out. I have a20ft main hose and a 20ft extension. You can check them out at wastemaster.com. pricey but we'll worth it. I also use a clear extensin at the trailer to see when tank is cleanAs far as electrical I have a 50ft main cord and a 25ft extension which I have only had to use twice. Water hose I carry a 50ft and 2 25ft.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
New Camper

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I wouldn't want to set up and find out I cant reach an outlet or fitting. It's a little overwhelming at first considering cords, hoses, dog bones, surge protector, regulator, filter, etc, etc but fun at the same time...
Mardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Odds are the dealer will supply you with a 25' water hose, a sewer hose (both the cheapest on the market), the rv will have probably a 25-30' power cord of the amperage rating of the rv, & the cheapo water restrictor, it's not a regulator, at least every time I've traded the dealer furnished these items.
Also noted you mentioned a surge protector, I wouldn't leave home without it.
And so far no one has mentioned the most important item/s, a credit card or checkbook.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote