Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Anyone with an idea how to get scratches out of Corian countertop? Was told one could sand Corian, thinking maybe a wet sand with a very fine paper?

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

From the dupont website:

Removing fine scratches or a blotchy appearance

You may notice that the surface of your countertop begins to look blotchy. Typically, this is caused by leaving hard water to dry on the surface which will leave a film of minerals. To remove this film:

<UL>

<LI>Pour some mild abrasive liquid cleanser, such as Soft Scrub®, on a damp sponge or cloth and rub over area using small circular motions, from the front to the back, then side to side, overlapping the circles until the entire area has been cleaned.</LI>

<LI>Thoroughly rinse the top with clean water and WIPE SURFACE COMPLETELY DRY.</LI>

<LI>Check to see if blotchiness is gone. If not, repeat procedure applying more pressure on the sponge or rag.</LI>

<LI>Continue over all affected areas until all film is removed.</LI>

<LI>NOTE: While this procedure may remove or minimize the look of very fine scratches, other deeper scratches may remain. They may be removed by following the procedure below or you may with to hire a professional refinisher to refinish your countertop. Contact your Corian® Retailer or DuPont to arrange for professional refinishing.</LI>[/list]

Removing minor cuts and scratches*

Because the solid beauty of Corian® goes all the way through, Corian® surfaces are renewable. You can remove minor cuts and scratches yourself by following these instructions.

<UL>

<LI>First, wash the area where the scratch is located, following the instructions found in this guide, to remove any film on the surface as this film may clog the abrasive pads. With this surface still wet, start rubbing with the Peach colored side of the cleaning pad. Use a light touch. Pressing too hard may actually leave deeper scratches. Rub over the scratch using a straight line motion. Periodically switch rubbing direction ninety degrees. Rinse pad periodically during this process to remove any built up residue. Be sure all of the scratch is removed.</LI>

<LI>Clean top with water and dry thoroughly. Check to see if sanded area blends with rest of top. Please note that sanded area may not perfectly match remainder of top. If necessary, turn pad over and repeat process. Rub over large area to blend in sanding.</LI>

<LI>If needed, continue the sanding process using the Aqua colored pad and if necessary, the Gray colored pad until the desired gloss level is achieved.</LI>

<LI>Rinse out all pads used and allow them to air dry before putting them away.</LI>

<LI>An alternative to your refinishing your countertop, is to contact your Corian® retailer or DuPont to arrange for professional refinishing.</LI>[/list]

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I had accidently put some light scratches in our counter top with a scrubbing pad. Looked in my owners info and it said to use an automotive polishing or clear coat rubbing compound with a damp cloth to polish out the scratches. Tried it and it worked beautifully. After just a couple of minutes of circular polishing motion the scratches were gone and the counter top looked great again.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Most big box home improvement stores have a Corian refinishing kit. The kit include a how tovideo and all the proper sandpaper grades.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I would try the polishing compounds or the clear coat compounds before I would use sandpaper. My personnal experience was that they work great. Much less aggressive and really brings back the shine. JMHO.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Thanks much! Probably should have done research prior to asking question, my bad. Thanks again!!

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We had Corian in our kitchen, and once a year we had them come in and the refinished the counters, they looked as good as new, but they scratch pretty easy, we took all the corian out last year and had it all replaced with Quartz, much harder and almost impossible to scratch, the corian is nice you just need to be careful with it...and they do now make a kit for refinishing the surface...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote