Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #1

I owne a 2011 Crossroads CF30ES. I purchased it last September. I camped on a trial run in September 2010. Then stayed at the Outer Banks of N.C. for two weeks in October 2010. I cleaned it and put it away for the winter in my enclosed metal garage with a concrete floor. I went on my first camping trip this past weekend. When I went to put the rear Jack stands down; a metal crossmember brace came down on one side as I lowered the jack. It is there to just basicly support the underbelly of the enclosed area. I started checking and the bolt that holds the thin brace up had corroded and broke off. I noticed the other bolts that hold on the rear jack stands and other braces are also corroded to the point that they could snap off at any minuite and I don't think I can replace them without them snapping off if I try to unscrew them. I ended up wiring up the brace until I could return home. Anyone else having this problem, or just me? Deputydog

2011 CF30ES

Roughing It Smoothly!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Haven't noticed anything like that. I would spray some WD-40 on the bolts and let them set for awhile before trying to remove them. That brace could possibly be a support for a tank, check it out.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Salt air, such as on the outer banks, is the worst thing in the world on vehicles.

Spraying with WD-40 or some type of oil may help. There is a product called Kroil I belive that our maintenance men use for removing stubborn bolts. Works almost like magic.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #4

I wonder if I replace the bolts myself; If I can even get them out without breaking off the other ones. If it would somehow void the warranty. Deputydog
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
That's pretty strange, corrosion is typically slow moving unless it has an agent to accelerate it. When I first read your post I assumed it was delivered in the winter with salt on the road. After two years in Maine, left uncovered in the winters, my Cruiser frame had almost no rust and all the underpinnings looked solid and were corrosion free.

Perhaps a call to Randy at Crossroads is in order?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

HOw old is the floor in the storage area???? When they are fresh they admit a gas that will rust anything the best thing on a new floor is to seal it with a good floor paint. Do not even ask me how I know this

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #7

The floor and building was built in 2001 and the concrete was sealed with a sealent after it was cured. I never had a problem with my other two units that I stored in there. They were Jayco's. I'm puzzled. Deputydog
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

OK I would take it back to the dealer and have him replace the bolts with new Galinized ones sounds like you have got some electralize going on

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #9

Ok, I called the Cossroads warranty section this morning. The lady was really nice and said they usually don't warranty rust or corrosion. However, since our unit is only six months old; they would replace any bolt that broke off. The problem now is I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest RV Crossroads dealer. Even though other bolts are corroded, I only have one that is broken off. It would cost me $40-$50 in gas and a day wasted for one bolt replaced free. So, I think I will remove one of the other bolts; purchase several and replace the ones that look bad myself. Then I will coat with Rustolium or some other Rust prevention product. If I lived close it would be worth it, but thats what I get for living in the country.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

If you look in your phone book, you might be able to find a local fasterner distributor company that will sell to the public in less than full box amounts. Then you could purchase stainless steel screws and bolts. On our Salem that we traded in, I replaced every screw on the outside of the trailer for less than 25.00. (in fact I don't think I even spent 20, but was being conservative).

If you only have a handful to replace, just go to Lowes or an ACE Hardware or somewhere like that and get stainless. Then you won't have that issue again.

I even put a little dab of silicon sealant on the screws when I did the Salem, they come back out easy but help seal up whatever they are screwed into.

I will be doing the same on our 2010 Cruiser this year.

As an aside, there is a KOA about 25 miles south of Kitty Hawk that is a great place to stay at and another relatively close to the KOA that I am going to check into. We spent a week

last August at the KOA and are going back there again at the end of July (good Lord willing and the diesel don't rise, well at least don't rise too much).

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:26 AM   #11

I stay at Camp Hatteras Resort & RV Park

Physical Location:

24798 Highway 12

MP 40.5

Rodanthe, NC 27968

(252) 987-2777

It is right beside the KOA. It is a little more expensive but it's gated and has concrete pads, tennis courts, game room, Hottub ect. My wife likes it the best so I pay extra to make her happy. Deputydog
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
New Camper

try BLAST, it will seep into the threads, just spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes. You can get it most places.

This stuff was invented for three years before thay found a can that would hold it.
nineoaks2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #13

Thanks for the suggestions. I used WD40 and soaked the broken bolt. Later I got it out with ease with vicegrips. I replaced the bolt and sprayed all the others with rustolem. Hope this helps in the long run. I need to recheck them later. DeputydogEdited by: Deputydog