Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Has anyone experienced any problems with corrosion due to the "salt air" when camping near oceanfronfront campgrounds? We campedat Tropical Palms Resort inOrlando (not even oceanfront) & outside extend/retract switches for front & rear stabilizers coroded to the point where the front jack motor seized up, and only way to raise it was to remove motor in order to leave for home. 5 months later (July 2012) we camped in Myrtle Beach, (oceanfront, this time) and again same thing happened but this time rear motor burnt out due to rear switch coroding and stuck in extend mode, thus burning motor out. Spoke to Chris @ Crossroads about this issue, and he was unable to come up with a solution, other than spray the underside of switch & wiring with an undercoating spray. That would make replacing switch in future a total headache & mess. What I think would be the best solution would be to add 2 small "hatch type" doors, front & back, to house the switches, and keep them from being exposed to the outside elements. Currently they're located groundfacing on the trailer "skirt" thus exposed to outside tire overspray during rain, as well as airborn salt & water mist. Both times motors were covered under warranty, but having to deliver trailer 50 miles away for repairs each time is not an option I like. 2nd time I was able to replace motor myself with trailer left home....returning bad motors to dealer later without having to tow trailer along. Edited by: Tonemeister
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We always stay at the ocean front at Myrtle Beach (Myrtle Beach Travel Park). Give it a good washing when I get the rig home. I have given wheels and metal a coat of wax prior to leaving.

Have not gone to Myrtle Beach with the cruiser -first rig with a rear jack motor - I'll spray the switch before we go next year.

My rear stabilizer jack motor was replaced this spring.

You peaked my interest.

Take a look at this (advice for boaters)

http://suite101.com/article/prevent-corrosion-in-boat-light-fixtures-a354296

and this:
http://www.tc-11.com/Marine%20Electronics%20Test.pdf

Camping World sells the stuff -Boeshield T-9 Rust Protectant &amp; Lube</span>

Bottom Line: For the one-stop shopper, this product has the best combined "score" for corrosion inhibition and electrical protection.<div style="font-size: medium; ">
<div style="font-size: medium; ">This is sold at Amazon:</span></span>
<h1 ="parseasintitle="" "="" style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-weight: normal; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-top: 0px; line-height: normal; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">CRC 06007 6-56 11oz Multi-Purpose Lubricant Aerosol Spray</span></h1>

Bottom Line: A sticky, double-duty sheathing for those high-exposure areas, but take care it doesn’t inhibitcooling.</span>

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Not sure what to say about this. We have been camping in the Gulf Shores, Al. area for several years now with two different cruisers and have never experienced these problems. Our rear stabalizer jacks switch is enclosed in a box on the rear side of the trailer, front one is not enclosed.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the info &amp; the link! Good to have a can of that spray on hand. We've been going to Myrtle Beach Travel Park for past 5 years......and Pirateland for previous 12 years. Too many "young-ins" on golf carts at Pirateland, 1st time we tried Travel Park loved it, and have been going back ever year since. Much prefer North Myrtle beach area.

Thanks again for the reply...happy campin'!
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We go every year to that area, Stay right on the beach also. Actually we are getting ready now for a trip down there. Never had a problem with the truck or camper.. I scrub it down before i go and when i get back. Plus occasionally i will wash off the salt dew in the morning. Helps with the windows more than anything.. The sand getting in everywhere is more of a problem than salt spray.

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote