Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Cracking on my front cap

I have a 2014 Sunset trail reserve 30RK and we have an issue with the front cap having cracks starting to appear. I am aware of the fading issue which mine has not done but was wondering if others had seen this problem with cracks and what was done or could be done to replace or repair. I have contacted both Cross Roads and my selling dealer about this. I will be taking it into the dealer tomorrow so they can see the issue. We were camping this weekend and there was another Sunset travel trailer there and it exhibited some cracking also but no where near as bad as mine. The gentleman who owned it said the cap had been repainted recently for the fading issue. His was a 2013. Thanks for any input.

Mike
Old 09-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you post a picture? Wondering if it's just the gel coat cracking or the fiberglass base.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Pictures

Attached are photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (132.7 KB, 22 views)
mlockner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Photos

More photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (132.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Another photo

Another photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (164.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Tough to see as those pic's are so close to get a good perspective.
Have you had to hard recent rain with some cold, freezing evenings just after?
I'd check the cap up at the rubber roof line and see if cracks or issues have appeared. If you have a front closet, do you find any moisture in the closet, on the shelves, or in the ceiling light fixture?
I would expect this to be moisture behind the fiberglass with freezing weather after to push on the cap and flex it to cracking.
If not under warranty, I'd use the 8"x10' Eternabond Front Cap repair tape. Issues gone!

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I live in Colorado and those cracks have just appeared in the last couple months. It has not been exposed to any cold weather. The inside of the trailer does not exhibit any issues from leakage.

Mike
Old 09-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Took the trailer to the dealer today. They believe it is the gel coat cracking and also seen some fading. Cross roads has been contacted we'll see where this goes. More to come.

Mike
Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

In my opinion it is not gel coat cracking. Normally gel coat cracking is the result of local separation of the gel coat from the base Fiberglas, then the gel coat develops hairline spider web type cracks. Separation can be due to an air bubble or stone impact.

I suspect your cracks are originating at each screw that is securing the trim. Maybe the screws were over tightened but regardless the screw holes are the weak point in the cap and too much stess, for whatever reason will cause cracks at the screw holes.
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Repairing the gel coat will not solve the problem. Like Dayle said, stress cracks and damage from hits and over tightened screws will almost always go deep under the gelcoat and into the actual fiberglass structure under that gelcoat. You must fix the underlying layers of fiberglass as well as the gelcoat to permanently fix the stress crack.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

After looking at the cracks again they are spaced as if where the screws are. My dealer had the front cap off this unit before we got it. I am going to get with them again and mention the screw locations. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll follow up and let you know.

Mike
Old 09-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Well , there is your answer, dealer torqued the screws too tight...just like the factory guys that torque the shower skylight way to tight and crack them.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I have a 2012 sunset reserve . I just notice cracks on the front of mine also. About 2.5 Ft. from the top on the right side, then about a foot below another one. My cap had faded and Cross Road had it repainted at Camper World of Chicago in Wauconda, Illinois. They did a great job. I don't know if they took the cap off or masked it and painted it on the trailer. I will be calling Camper World and try to get info if it was taken off. My warranty is gone so hopefully I can get a response.This work was done about a year and a half ago and the cracks appeared just recently.
Are the cracks that have appeared on others in the same location as mine?
Old 10-03-2016, 06:02 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi001 View Post
I have a 2012 sunset reserve . I just notice cracks on the front of mine also. About 2.5 Ft. from the top on the right side, then about a foot below another one. My cap had faded and Cross Road had it repainted at Camper World of Chicago in Wauconda, Illinois. They did a great job. I don't know if they took the cap off or masked it and painted it on the trailer. I will be calling Camper World and try to get info if it was taken off. My warranty is gone so hopefully I can get a response.This work was done about a year and a half ago and the cracks appeared just recently.
Are the cracks that have appeared on others in the same location as mine?
Can you post some pics of the cracks?
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

So the dealer sent me an e-mail stating Crossroads offers no assistance with this repair or fix. If someone has contact information for higher ups at Crossroads I would appreciate it. Getting past their first line of defense is difficult.
Dealer has stated they want to work with me on getting this repaired, Ill see what they have to offer. I kinda back doored the service dept by going directly to the sales manager for assistance with this since this trailer had so many issues from the start after we purchased it.

Ill keep you informed,

Mike
Old 10-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

I'll get some out tomorrow. I waxed it today and found more toward the middle so maybe it is the paint cracking. Going to have a buddy that does this kind of work and get his opinion. Like i said before Camper World did repaint it .