Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

For want of a better word I'll call the opening where the city water and TV cables a hatch. We all have a removable screw on cover that we take off when we are at the campground. My question is how do I critter proof this opening when camped? I have yet to have a problem but we are supposed to be camped in one spot at a state park for a few months this year and there are bound to be "visitors". Is there a replacement hatch cover with an opening for the hose/cable? I am looking for something similar to the door for the 30 amp cable at the rear of the Cruiser.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Hello Art,

We bind all of the cables and hoses that pass through this port with a short piece of nylon cord and then from the basement wrap an old hand towel around this mass. We try to stuff the towel into all of the openings and then from below we hang a small container of moth-balls. For moth-balls we fillan old pill bottle drilled full of 3/8" holes and a brass coffee cup hookscrewed into the cap.

For those times that we are not connected to a water supply, we cut a 3/4"thick disk of oak to fill this port. The disk has a notch sawed into it from the edge. The notch is just wide and deep enough to receive the phone and tv cable. No room for rodents.

No pest problems so far.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We have a piece of 2 inch thick foam rubber that was cut into a round circle, then a small hole in the center that we pass all the hoses, cables, etc through, then push the foam part way through the access hole. This seems to plug the hole real well.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Here is a link to what I did.
http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ts.asp?TID=887

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I really do like Old Farmer's set up!!!

But for my set up, I bought a smaller area rug I think 36 x 56, for inside by the door, cut a section out around the step leading to the MB / bath, used the cut out section for "stuffing" around the hose(s) / cable. Basically I cut the surplus rug slightly larger than the access hole, then just cut slits in the center of the cut outs to get the hose / cable through.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote