Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #21
New Camper

Thumbs down Sidewall Crack/Wall Stud Weld Broke

I have a crack at the corner of the front slide out. The dealer says this is probably due to a weld being broken in the wall frame. I was told this was a common problem with this model. Crossroads told me they don't have time to service my RV. First does anyone know who to take this to in the northern Indiana area to get repaired. Second, I would never purchase another RV made under the Crossroads or Keystone label & think other should consider this as well if this is how they take care of their owners.
jrjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
Family Vacation Member

I may have to have someone help educate me, but in my world of sailboat land, fiberglass had gelcoat, and the color was mixed in with the gelcoat. If the gelcoat faded it was generally from oxidation and a lack of care of waxing with time. The only real solutions were either aggressively sand it to get to good gel coat (which there is only a real thin layer), or pain it, and wax it after it cured. Though once painted, it only lasts a few years and you have to redo it. We had the saying, "If it looked good from 10' it was good enough". Is the process with the caps of these units different? Or when they say repainted, do they mean re-gelcoating. Ie, respray the gelcoat, which is an art in itself.

-Tim

TV: 2015 F-150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5L Eco 4x4 Max Tow
TT: 2017 26BB
SB: Catalina 22
NoodlesWIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #23
Site Team

Most of those that repaired the caps had them painted with autobody paint. That should last a long time. Just keep it polished with a good polymer wax.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #24
Family Vacation Member

can you post some pictures - I could coach you on the fix
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #25
New Camper

SidewallCrack/Stud help

Thanks Jeffur, your help is greatly appreciated. This is a picture of the crack. Sidewall.jpg
jrjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #26
Seasonal Camper

Is that a joint under that molding with the two screws in it? If so, I'm surprised it cracked where it did. I had a spider web crack like that, and I cut straight down from the corner to the bottom and slide H trim in the cut. Crack has gone any farther. And no, don't look for help from CR customer service.....it's non existent. Last time I called, I ended up on the line with Keystone. I've dealt with them before too, and they left a bitter taste.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Mine was the same area.
2 things - make sure when you send the swintek bedroom slide out - that it goes out evenly, do not overdrive it as it will cause the flex you see there.
Second , mine cracked exact same place. It you don't want a fibreglass man to repair it - simply put some matching stripe over it.
Third - the expansion joint you see immediately before it, take the cover strip off and make sure that cut goes right through the material and all the way up so any flexing happens there under that strip. Caulk the whole joint with a petroleum based sealer, such as raingutter joint. It will move with the joint.
I'll try to send you pictures
Old 10-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #28
Family Vacation Member

This. Is a picture of my unit & the crack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3478.jpg (90.6 KB, 4 views)