Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hello again,

A technical question for y'all -- we were out on a group campout and a friend who's pretty sharp with RV's and all noticed that the axle's on our 2006 Crossroads Cruise have a slight bend pointing upwards. He was quite concerned that this was an indication that my axles were "bent!" Oh oh.......so,

when we got back home I called our local RV/Coach guru (great business in the Sacramento area, by-the-way) and over the phone he said this was "normal" for this rig. The axles are designed that way so the more my wife loads into our 5th wheel (she's really good at that, but that's another post for another time!!!) the straighter they become.......so,

My question for you technical experts is this the way its suppose to work with the axles and they weren't "bent" from damage? I've driven along side the 5th wheel and the tires appear to track perfectly and there's no noticeable tire wear due to alignment problems.

Thanks again to all for your help! Great forum here!

Ed and Debbie

efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My 07 is the same way. The RV dealer said it was normal and although I am not an expert, I think it is for alignment purposes. When I had our last TT aligned, they actually bent the axles slightly.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Perfectly normal. That is how "camber" is put into the axle. Everything is welded up as close to straight as possible, then put in a fixture to align the "toe in" and "camber".

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier
Perfectly normal. That is how "camber" is put into the axle. Everything is welded up as close to straight as possible, then put in a fixture to align the "toe in" and "camber".

Yup normal

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
New Camper

Yep! Mine are exactly like that on our Cruiser CF31REP!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Structural components generally have a slight bend to them and the axels on our trailer are curved slightly as well.If you want to see a really good example of the bend look at an unloaded transport flat deck trailer deck from the side. You will see a noticable arc in an upward direction and if you see the same flat deck loaded thearc is gone I was told that this is designed so that under stress the structural steel is at its strongest.

CF33LF PROVINCIAL EDITION
SWAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
New Camper

Ours looks the same ===slight upward bend

Retired Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

without question - all the above "slight bend" statements are true...

Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Glad you guys out there to answer our questions -- I feel more confident about issues with our 5th Wheel........we just got back from 2 weeks in Bandon, Ore Bullard's Beach State park maybe the best State park around!!

My dear bride loaded up our trailer and there wasn't much bend left in them axles....LOL.....I'm still working on convincing her, put something new in the trailer, then taking something out.....not working so far!!

Thanks again,

ed and deb

Edited by: efavilajr
efavilajr is offline   Reply With Quote