Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Dang Rodents - Seville furnace & duct cleaning needed

We've joined the ranks of those that have been visited by rodents. It looks like the little critters came up the water line (that problem will be fixed before it goes out again). I got 5 with traps & bait but before their demise, evidently they left calling cards in the furnace and ducts. At this point, we're having to use electric heaters as the odor out of the furnace is intolerable.

My question is this: "Has anyone ever pulled the furnace out in a Seville & if so, how did you do it"? Is there a way to get to the duct work without doing major surgery on the camper?

I had to do this on a Sunnybrook Mobile Scout but I could get to everything fairly easily. Not so on the Seville.

It looks like I have to take out an access panel in the kitchen to be able to see the furnace & ductwork there. Once into that, I hope to be able to vacuum out the furnace and spray it down with a quaternary ammonia solution (non-corrosive for the most part) that does hospital-grade disinfecting.

Then it looks like I have to figure out some way to run a brush and then vacuum out the duct work. Once that is done, then also mist down the ductwork to get rid of any odors.

When I put back the connecting flexible ducts, I will use either semi-rigid or rigid ductwork to prevent any further incursions, at least through that path.

How hard is it to pull the basement wall in the Seville & if I do that, can I get to the end of the heating duct?

Suggestions or commiseration welcome.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

That sucks. Can't help you on a fix but can help with future prevention. Get some screens. This prevents rodents and bugs from making homes in your trailer.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I put those on the week we picked up the camper. The rodents got into the heating system from inside since the coupling ducts are nothing more than thin dryer venting with a 3rd opening just laying on the subfloor so anything can get in. I am thinking of putting some sort of screen on the vents in the living area so if something does get into that area, they can't drop down into the duct work.

Definitely a mess for sure. I'll have to take pictures of the various duct spots when I get the camper back home from winter storage.

I did put FreshCab in the basement and living area as well as mothballs in the front compartment and in the refrigerator area. FreshCab seems to work as long as it gets changed out monthly.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote