Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Detachable power cord

We just realized that our new trailer has a detachable power cord. For those who have the same, aren't you afraid it could get stolen? What can we do to prevent that?
From Laval, Quebec, Canada
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix View Post
We just realized that our new trailer has a detachable power cord. For those who have the same, aren't you afraid it could get stolen? What can we do to prevent that?
Good question in these times of copper thieves. Though my cord is wired in, I often use an extension, which could also be unplugged and taken. To prevent that I use a simple long-hoop (or what we used to call a bicycle type) padlock. The hoop encloses the wire nicely, but would not let either end pass through. Easiest place to hook into will probably be the campsite power outlet box.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Have never locked ours & I've got the surge protector plugged in as well & have never had anything sprout legs & walk away.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Your right, it could happen. I have other things in my life to worry about and having someone steal my cord, outside chairs, TV cable etc is not on my 'concerned" list. In over 40 years of RV'ing/camping I have never had anything stolen from my campsite/rig.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

In 45 years of camping the only things I have heard of being stolen are booze out of coolers or the whole cooler full of booze. The day I have to lock my water hose and electric cord up is the day I quit camping
Old 04-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Site Team

I haven't had any problem with this one or the one on my previous TT.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm being paranoid. Having a regular power cord walking away was never a concern, but this is the 30 amp one. I supposed I'm uncomfortable with change...
Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Could be worse, it could be the 50 amp one.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:12 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

I guess it could
Old 04-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Phenix
DW and I have been camping for eight years now and have never heard of anything being stolen at any campground we have stayed....With that being said we lock everything up if we are leaving the campground...I grew up in Philadelphia and the saying was "lock it or lose it"...There was a thread on this forum some time ago that one of the members said he thought he interrupted someone trying to steal his surge protector...Trusting but cautious...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I suppose it could happen, but in the 25 years we have been camping we have never had anything stolen and we leave the grill, the bikes, the lawn chairs, etc all out and unlocked.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

If they are stealing it for the copper, a lock won't help. They'll just cut the cable. We had to start setting our business a/c compressors 8' up on stands to keep them from being stolen... You can make it more difficult, but if they really want it, they'll get it. That being said, 45 years of camping (boy scouts to current) and have never had anything stolen in the campground.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

We camp out in the desert where things tend to get wild and not everyone is friendly. I used to put a big tarp over our motorcycles, lash it down with bungees, and lock up all the bikes. The thought being that if anyone messed with our bikes we would hear the tarp rustling and we'd be able to do something about it. All these years later I haven't used the tarp in about a decade. I'd say at least 50% of the time I forget to lock up the bikes.

We've had some interesting characters wander into camp in the wee hours. Nothing has ever been stolen though. One guy who seemed like a freak was actually in serious distress and we helped him get un-lost. Another guy who was actually pretty close to camp was so drunk and unruly that we had to sit on him until the law showed up and dealt with him.

Not bad odds.

Oh and as far as thieves go, the #1 thief is the wind, closely followed by dogs (ours included). A family in a camp a few hundred yards away was too lazy to put away their Thanksgiving leftovers one year. If it hadn't been our dogs, it would have been birds or coyotes. It was embarrassing, but I couldn't hardly blame the dogs.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Well about 15 years ago I was also stating to a friend that I'd never had anything stolen. About a week later we were at the OBX and staying at Camp Hatteras Campground. We had a big 5er then. An older couple came in beside of us in a Class A. (Expensive one). I said hello as he was setting up. He turned and just stared at me saying nothing. So I thought he didn't hear me and I said hello again with a friendly wave. He just turned his back to me. At that time I had a brand new 36' 5er and it wasn't like I was trash or something. I checked it off as maybe he had a bad day driving or something. The next morning my DW and I got up early and left for some surf fishing. When we go back at lunch they were gone and so was a large cooler that was sitting under the 5er next to the steps along with drinks beer wine and the whisky that was in it. The cooler had our name and phone number written on it with a permanent marker. A couple camping in a small camper right across from us were sitting outside so I walked over and ask if they had seen anything. They said the only people that had been moving around at all were the couple that left in the Class A. Now since then I lock coolers and especially fishing gear.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Well about 15 years ago I was also stating to a friend that I'd never had anything stolen. About a week later we were at the OBX and staying at Camp Hatteras Campground. We had a big 5er then. An older couple came in beside of us in a Class A. (Expensive one). I said hello as he was setting up. He turned and just stared at me saying nothing. So I thought he didn't hear me and I said hello again with a friendly wave. He just turned his back to me. At that time I had a brand new 36' 5er and it wasn't like I was trash or something. I checked it off as maybe he had a bad day driving or something. The next morning my DW and I got up early and left for some surf fishing. When we go back at lunch they were gone and so was a large cooler that was sitting under the 5er next to the steps along with drinks beer wine and the whisky that was in it. The cooler had our name and phone number written on it with a permanent marker. A couple camping in a small camper right across from us were sitting outside so I walked over and ask if they had seen anything. They said the only people that had been moving around at all were the couple that left in the Class A. Now since then I lock coolers and especially fishing gear.
Wow, that was certainly odd, if not just plain creepy! We do have to look at the changing dynamics in the campground today. We boomers are older, and many retired. Some of us have camped all our lives. On the other hand, we see story after story of "First Time Camper with Brand New 32' TT with three slides." As our country's social divisions continue, many more will "head for the hills" to escape the urban stress. As for me, after a lengthy military career, I leave nothing unlocked that I don't want to lose.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote