Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

dicor roof sealant

I just install a new tv antenna and used Dicor lap sealant around it but I have notice the sealant isnt sticking to the roof because I can peel most of the sealant up. Will dicor not adhere to certain kinds of roofs? I have a 2013 25rb sunset trail so not sure what kind roof it is though. Thanks for any suggestions!!!
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I went around every roof opening and the front and rear seams with eternabond tape. Personally i think its way better than dealing with dicor. Once this stuff is put down its there forever! https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...=ASNSNBLNI7FNQ

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

My father in law had the same issue. Dicor does have a shelf life of one year but the date is only on the case, not the individual tube. Might have to get one directly from Dicor and try again. I just used a tube installing my solar, will check on it this weekend to see the status of it.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kginder View Post
I just install a new tv antenna and used Dicor lap sealant around it but I have notice the sealant isnt sticking to the roof because I can peel most of the sealant up. Will dicor not adhere to certain kinds of roofs? I have a 2013 25rb sunset trail so not sure what kind roof it is though. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Did you clean the area good with something like denatured alcohol?
Also, there is two dicor sealants. The roof uses self leveling. The sides uses the lap sealant.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
I went around every roof opening and the front and rear seams with eternabond tape. Personally i think its way better than dealing with dicor. Once this stuff is put down its there forever! https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...=ASNSNBLNI7FNQ

Totally agree. Once and done.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I used lap sealant around the screws and such on my solar install. Pookied the crap out of it. Now you guys have me second guessing the install. I guess once I crawl up there and look at it then I will truly know if it's worth a crap...
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
Site Team

I have used both the Eternabond tape, and the dicor self leveling sealant on the roof in different applications. Both have done exactly what was claimed by the manufacture. I believe they each have their place.
I used self leveling on a new roof vent, and my solar install. I see no problems with either. I think where people get into trouble with the dicor is they probably aren't cleaning the area good enough. The tape also needs to have the area cleaned good before applying.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have used both the Eternabond tape, and the dicor self leveling sealant on the roof in different applications. Both have done exactly what was claimed by the manufacture. I believe they each have their place.
I used self leveling on a new roof vent, and my solar install. I see no problems with either. I think where people get into trouble with the dicor is they probably aren't cleaning the area good enough. The tape also needs to have the area cleaned good before applying.
Exactly Lloyd, I agree most problems are poor surface cleaning prep.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

2013 25 rb's have an Alpha roof membrane and need Alpha systems 1021 beige sealant . At least that is what crossroads sent me yrs ago. I think dicor and the alpha roof do not like each other.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
2013 25 rb's have an Alpha roof membrane and need Alpha systems 1021 beige sealant . At least that is what crossroads sent me yrs ago. I think dicor and the alpha roof do not like each other.
Harley is correct, at least that’s what my Alpha roof uses. Alpha systems manufactures the brand of sealant under the name of “Super Flex” for Camping world. It’s my understanding though, that you can use the Dicor product on an Aloha roof. Alpha Systems states that the Dicor may bubble, but won’t hurt the roof. I think the bubbles will also settle with time.

I’ve used Dicor over previous sealant that I cleaned first. It worked fine.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

dicor roof sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

We have Alpha Ply. We’ve had issues with it on the slides where the wiper touches it. I called and talked with their CSR. They advised me that Dicor was compatible with their roof systems. I used it on our sky light. No issues.

Of course they told me they have never experienced any problems like we’ve had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

flex seal

I have an older 5th wheel that had obviously been leaking from several places. I just coated all the seams I could find on the trailer with clear flex seal and nothing has leaked since. The only issue is that nothing will stick to the flex seal. You can't paint it or apply anything over top of it. I was thinking of using it on my newer 5th wheel just to coat the seams. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
Site Team

Not a fan of flex seal. A better alternative would be to cover the seams with Eternabond tape. That is a better solution. Make sure the surface is super clean. They sell a cleaner made for it. Cleaner

Eternabond Tape

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post
I have an older 5th wheel that had obviously been leaking from several places. I just coated all the seams I could find on the trailer with clear flex seal and nothing has leaked since. The only issue is that nothing will stick to the flex seal. You can't paint it or apply anything over top of it. I was thinking of using it on my newer 5th wheel just to coat the seams. Does anyone have any experience with it?
I know they make it sound like the greatest fix all on earth, yea use it underwater, but what does the suns UV rays do to it? I think I'll stick with (pun intended) the Eternabond & let the guy put his boat back together with the Flex Tape, not sure what if anything I'd use the FT on.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote