Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I being the proud owner of a powerstroke 6.0...LOL...and considering using a fuel additive, I have 53K on the truck, on the 2nd turbo and cooler, I use BP fuel, and I have never used an additive, I was never much of a believer of a "mechanic in a can " but at this point I figure I have not much to lose, the truck will sit most of the winter, last winter it moved 300 miles from October till April, I have read some on the diesel stop and everybody has their own opinion, I was wondering what you guys use, and where do you get it, and do you see any noticeable results ?...my main concern would be to help keep the injectors clean and to help with any build up, any help would sure be appreciated

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen since 2001. It works great and you can get it at Walmart or Tractor Supply.

http://www.powerservice.com/dk/
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I am relatively new to the diesel realm so am interested in the responses here. I don't use any kind of additive. After the trip I am on, the truck will have about 15K on it and I was going to switch to a synthetic oil. I didn't plan on start using a gas additive. When you say "it works great" what does that mean? How do you know? Not trying to be a smarta-- here but really am curious.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Site Team

I have been using straight bio diesel for 2 or 3 years now. I buy a 5 gal. can each spring. It last me for the year or close to it. I mix it about 3%, that way if you have gunk in there it doesn't drop it off all in 1 chunk and plug your filters. It cleans, and lubricates. Plus it's a lot cheaper then the stuff in the can.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen since 2001. It works great and you can get it at Walmart or Tractor Supply.

http://www.powerservice.com/dk/

X2

Some also add 6oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil for added lubrication since the use of ULSD.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I just went and bought what Hunter said, pretty cheap 15.00 for enough to treat 250 gallons, guess we will see if thara is any difference my main thought was to keep the injectors and the turbo as clean as possible, here is parrt 2 of the question, do I use this everytime I fuel the truck ?.....thanks

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Lynn, I have started adding about 3 or 4oz. of ashless two cycle oil in with the Diesel Kleen. I mix it in a empty bottle so it is pre mixed before I add it. I have read about adding MMO but until I know for sure what is in it I am staying with the two cycle oil.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have 68k on my '07 PS and haven't used any additives, not even anti-gel in the winter. I found that the extra couple of pennies Mobil, BP , Shell is worth it. Not sure if you have priced filters, but they can get costly and the Ford there are 2. Also up here in Wi. the station will begin to use winter blend diesel come month end Oct. I had no problem with gelling even -15 F.

_popupControl();

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
Lynn, I have started adding about 3 or 4oz. of ashless two cycle oil in with the Diesel Kleen. I mix it in a empty bottle so it is pre mixed before I add it. I have read about adding MMO but until I know for sure what is in it I am staying with the two cycle oil.

Yeah Keith, I've read about the 2 cycle, but haven't given it a try as of yet. I have used the MMO for a few tanks with no ill effects(actually did quieten things down somewhat) but heard a couple of people in the area were getting busted for running off road/farm diesel; I didn't want to take the chance, even though I was perfectly legal.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Lynn, I would not worry to much about getting busted for offroad/farm diesel. You would have to add a bunch of MMO to a tank full of diesel to turn it red enough to be mistaken for the offroad/farm stuff.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I run injector cleaner through four times a year, but I only put 10,000 miles on the truck this year. Most of this was towing tho. Lynn I have been stopped by the La authorities when coming out of the farm In Amite City, and have had them check the fuel PITA, generally it is right after we have the farm tank filled up, this was a lot this year as we built one new house on the land and one man cave, and have prepared a site for the New shop and storage are for our classic toys. I think the fuel truck driver is on their payroll

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Yep...definitely would use something especially with all of the bio-diesel blends out there right now as you can't count on the fuel depot to get the mixing right. Even with using 2x the additive on one tank last winter, I had a gelling problem when the temps got to -15 degrees. If you read the fine print on powerservice, it says double the amount of additive if a bio-blend is used. Fair warning to those in the central states where biofuel is mostly used.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I wish I could find 20% biodiesel around here at a decent price, I would run it all the time. My truck runs so quite and smooth on it. I have run several tanks through mine when I could get it andI feel like the truck runs better on it than regular diesel. Mileage and power are unchange on it with or without the power box turned up.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

STANADYNE. See the following test results at:

http://www.stanadyne.com/docs/puba/9...F%20poster.pdf

Think of it as cheap insurance.

We use the truck just RVing. That meansmountains and some hard hot pulling as well as not knowing if the fuel we are getting is the best. Who needs trouble while on vacation?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Kamper Dave, where do you buy the additive ?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

mbinohio,

I purchase Stanadyne at Hucksdorf Diesel Service in Franklin, Wisconsin or Diesel injection Service in Madison, Wisconsin.

I have yet to find it at any of the big box stores.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

I was new to the diesel world and bought a used 05 Cummins with 23k on the clock. After just a few months I begin to experience a problem with a real rough idle after cranking the engine. This occured when it was cold and also when I stopped at rest areas. The thing is under warranty of course so the dealer put in two new injectors. It did not cure the problem and I lived with it for a year. It would only run rough for about 30 seconds then smooth out. I too was not a fan of any easy fix or snake oil from a bottle but I tried Diesel Kleen Power Service because I noticed Wal-Mart sold it in 3 different sizes. This tells me it is a good seller for them to stock it. To my amazement my rough idle problem totally stopped. Since my problem was intermittant I waited several months to reach the decision that I would continue using it at every single fill up. Here we are a year later and still no problems, I am a believer!!!
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

I do use an additive, but only when the temp's are below freezing for extended periods. ( live in Western, New York - so that can be for month's on end."

I have no scientific reasoning for doing so, and I have no idea whether it does me any good. I just know that after threeyears,my TVstill runs great.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote