Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

What do most of you use to seal tail lights, clearance lights, ladder mounts and horizontal seams (molding?) I have looked on other sites and they say NOT to use silicone. Many said to use dicor but it is so messy to use and clean up. I asked the local RV shop and they use silicone from the roof down and dicor from the roof up. They said to get rubber gloves and 100% silicone that is waterproof from Home Depot. Then smear the silicone with your finger using the gloves. My husband calls it sillycone since he says it doesn't seal air, water, oil or gas leaks. Got any ideas, since what we are doing doesn't look very professional

Porterville, Ca.

2006 Cruiser CF29CK owner pulled with a 2006 GMC crewcab LBZ Duramax

Contributing forum member since 2006
gbsell@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Hi, Geocel makes Proflex and Dicor has a non sag seam sealer. The trick is in how you prep the surface and cut the tip on the tube. Use painters tape to mask left and right of the caulking seam for a nice professional look. Next cut the caulking tube at the tip just enough to open the tube and at a 45 degree angle.

You don't want to use silicone asmost are not UV stable.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

When I was at the factory they now use Sikaflex 715 RV it is UV resistant and a pretty good product. Here is the link.

http://www.sikaconstruction.com/sika-recreational-vehicle-roof-sealant

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

That looks good on the roof but we're more interested on the side seams of the trailer that show. Also around the fender skirts etc. that show when you walk by. Anything will look good up on the roof were you can't see it. We need a good sealant that looks good cosmetically also

Porterville, Ca.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I like 3M 5200 white Marine Adhesive/Sealant. I use it on my boat and on my trailer. It's a polyurethane material so may even work well on the roof.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyB
I like 3M 5200 white Marine Adhesive/Sealant. I use it on my boat and on my trailer. It's a polyurethane material so may even work well on the roof.
Do NOT use 5200 to seal anything you may have to take apart in the future, such as lenses on lights, fender seams, etc.

To remove it will cause you to ruin whatever it's on. It is a permanent adhesive. Great for attaching items which won't be removed but absolutely no good for anything which may have to be un-stuck at a later time.

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have used the Proflex for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. Use it around trim, windows, etc., but not on the roof. Use Dicor lap sealant on the roof.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsell@sbcglobal.net
That looks good on the roof but we're more interested on the side seams of the trailer that show. Also around the fender skirts etc. that show when you walk by. Anything will look good up on the roof were you can't see it. We need a good sealant that looks good cosmetically also
This is what Randy at service used on our FW all over(windows, lights and trim . It is what they recommend, take it for what it is worth.

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I guess I am not understanding your point. Dicor non sag sealant dries and looks similar to your OEM material, so does Proflex. The roof self leveling Dicor is NOT what I suggested using. If your purely looking for cosmetics then just go to Walmart and buy some Great Value silicone sealant - it will sure look purdy but do nothing to stop potential leaks... JMHO.

The Silkaflex is the OEM but is not sold in my area. Randy said Geocel (proflex) is the next nearest sealant to the OEM.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

The Proflex is a good sealant that will do what you want in terms of water proofing. Cosmetically, it all depends on how good you are when applying it. Don't cut the tip to large and be conservative. If you have to much sealant coming out of the tip in relation to how fast you are moving it, itwill build up on the edges on look bad. If all else fails use you finger to smooth it out, just have a LARGE towel handy to clean your finger after every wipe. Like anything else, it takes practice to make it look good.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

I bought a tube of Proflex RV Flexable Sealant in clear to go around the windows and seams. What I meant in my first post is Dicor self leveling is messy to work with and you can't go back and try to smooth it out since it wants to make webs that string down onto the decals, paint etc. We will mask off the top and bottom of the seam before we use this like you suggested. That was a good idea, much better than the idea of going to Walmart. I don't want the trailer to look like Stevie Wonder did it! I do have pride in the trailer.

Edited by: gbsell@sbcglobal.net

Porterville, Ca.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

As was stated earlier, the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant is intended for use on the roof only.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I wouldn't go to a dealer that uses silicon for anything. After it fails, and it always does, nothing else will stick where it was. It doesn't belong on a RV.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

We're not that's why we're doing it ourselves.

Porterville, Ca.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I sort of misspoke a little earlier about the 3M 5200 sealant. I do use it on my boat for sealing screws when I install them but what I use for sealing around things is 3M Marine Grade Silicone Sealant, 08019. It works great and stays flexible. I've never had an issue where I've applied it, then had to remove it and apply it again and not have it stick. It seems to hold up well to sun and harsh environments.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote