Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Do I have any hope parking my ST270BH next to my house?

I have limited towing experience, so I feel this will be a big challenge to get the trailer parked so close to my house. Friends with experience say I'll be able to do it, just will take some time at first.

There is 10' of parking space from side of house to neighbor's fence. The ditch in front is very shallow, I'll fill with rocks to make it almost level. It would be a lot simpler if I extended the culvert all the way to make it one big driveway, but I'm a few years away from attempting that ($$).

What do you guys think?

Here are some pictures:

PokerMunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Here's a few things that may be informative. We park our fifth wheel partly right beside the house, and our driveway where, it goes over a fairly deep ditch is quite narrow. It fans out after the ditch. We are able to get it in there fine every time. We use walkie talkies to communicate. If that situation isn't bad enough, I should mention that we back it in on our blind side. If we were to go in the other way we would have to go out of our way to get there or turn it around down the road.

Our daughter also backs hers in beside the house, and the last time she did it her nine year old daughter spotted for her, also using walkie talkies. She also backs in on her blind side, because she lives on a dead end street.

Another thing - travel trailers are easier to back than 5ers because when you make a correction the TT reacts immediately. A 5er has to think about it a bit before reacting, giving you just enough time to over-correct.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yes, it's do-able. I had a similar situation and looked at some options to help get my trailer into a tight spot.

Not to be a smart-arse but considering the cost of new garage, you may want to invest in a good back-up camera set-up. They're a real marriage saver when I got to get the trailer into a tight spot. They have plug and play wireless ones out there. Also, you (as well as two other people guiding back) should plan for some time to thread it in there. If you have a truck I also looked at putting a front hitch on my truck so I can push it back and have more control, but didnt pull the trigger on that yet. Both the wireless camera and front hitch can be done for under $200

Good luck

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

It looks like it should fit... give yourself plenty of time and patience. Make sure you go over your hand signals before you get started so everyone is on the same page about stop or go left etc... and as the others said 2 way radios or cell phone with blue tooth is a big help!
2014 Cruiser Aire 30DB (Bunk house)
DavidandJennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:32 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the hope!!

Do they make 2 way radios that are hands free?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Thanks for the hope!!

Do they make 2 way radios that are hands free?
Just use your cellphones on speaker-phone! Go slow, take it one foot at a time. It helps me to get out and look every 4 feet or so. All the mirrors, signals, and even back-up cameras are not as good as a straight-on-eyeball!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Site Team

What MartyinSC said will work fine, especially if you bluetooth in your TV.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post

There is 10' of parking space from side of house to neighbor's fence. The ditch in front is very shallow, I'll fill with rocks to make it almost level. It would be a lot simpler if I extended the culvert all the way to make it one big driveway, but I'm a few years away from attempting that ($$).

What do you guys think?
What jumps out at me, is you saying you will fill the ditch with rock. The rock will cost you more then the culvert. They aren't that expensive. Plus, the municipality you live in might not take kindly to you filling the ditch. I would suggest you check with them before doing it.

Backing takes practice-practice-practice. Take your rig to and empty or nearly empty parking lot and practice.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I've been re-thinking this. Maybe you ought to find another spot. Since the trailer is nominally 8ft wide, and you only have 10ft total, that only gives you one foot on each side. That doesn't give you room to get your stabilizers down, let alone in/out of the door. You will want to enter your camper often, not only for fun, but to turn fridge on/off, change sheets, load/unload, etc. Good luck!
Dalzell SC
Old 06-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I wish I was allowed to keep mine on my property! HOA's... I'm trying to convince the wife we need more property? lol
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler

This is what I use to park my rig inside my building. The building has a 10'door which is ok but I'm able to move it to one side easily once past the door.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

You may have just enough room. I would not however fill the "ditch" with rock without putting in a culvert. You may find it will cost you! The city or county or whoever is responsible may do it for you or at least only a partial cost to you. I would check first.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
Site Team

If there is a corrugated pipe under your driveway entrance, add more pipe and cover it up with stone or whatever. Simple fix

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Have you checked with municipality and neighbors and any possible HOA to make sure it is ok to park there. I have seen good neighbors become enemies over this (not us). Some towns have rules about being able to see the trailer from the road etc. With not much backing experience do you want to risk damage to a brand new trailer or the garage or worse, the neighbor's fence?

Our yard has plenty of land and understanding neighbors but too many steep hills to make it practical. We keep it in a fenced in storage lot with security cameras less than 5 minutes from home and bring it home for washing, maintenance and trip prep. It comes and goes for various reasons so it is impossible for thieves to decide if it's presence or lack of is a sign that we are away. Just an alternative perspective.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

You will be able to do it. Slow, patience and use a ground guide. I do see a couple poles and a railroad tie that need to go. I see in your future filling in the grass area with gravel instead of the ditch with a culvert. Thus making your angle of attack less. Good luck!
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:20 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Here is a picture of our set-up. Note the narrow driveway to start out. If it is physically possible, with practice you can do it.

We were unable to widen the driveway, so we added some stones to the sides to make it as wide as possible with the current culvert. Then we also added stones to make it wider closer to the road. We are limited to a certain culvert size due to a telephone guy wire. If you are able to widen the driveway over the ditch, great.

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to re-learn it every time you go in. Find a reference point where you will start from every time you go in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-07-17 (7).jpg (238.9 KB, 19 views)

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Update. We extended the culvert and the driveway will now extend almost to the neighbor's split fence. Filling it with small rock for now, will put in asphalt to complete the driveway in a year or two.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow when it's done. Hopefully one with the trailer parked next to the house

Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Got it parked next to the house!

Old 06-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

Nice fit, better than I expected! I see electrical conduit on that side of the garage, so adding an outdoor 30 amp outlet should be easy. (got mine at Lowes). Presume you got the culvert worked out, and are on good terms with your neighbor! Looks good, "tucked in" back there!
Dalzell SC
Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Looks good. You did a nice job. You will find get to g in and out your driveway entrance even easier now.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote