Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Domestic Freezer/Fridge Issues

We have the unit set to auto and plugged into electric. As soon as I turn off the propane the check light starts to flash and the unit stops working instead of running on the electric.
There are only two settings. 1. Auto or 2. Gas.

I don’t think it’s even utilizing the electric because while we were away I did leave the propane on in the event the electric went out. When I returned the propane was empty, electric on but our fridge/freezer unit was flashing check. No heat or any other items on but my propane tank was empty. As soon as I put a new tank on the unit starts working. I shut the tank off the check light flashes and unit stops working.
This leads me to believe that the unit is never running on electric and only utilizing the gas.
Any thoughts? What should I look at or could the problem be?
Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Code:
firstthing is to take outside cover off and unplug fromreceptical and plug something in to see it it is getting power to plug.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Code:
firstthing is to take outside cover off and unplug fromreceptical and plug something in to see it it is getting power to plug.

Thanks for the response. After I turn the gas on and reset the system I can hear the electronic ignition lighting the gas. Wouldn’t that indicate there is power to the unit?
Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
Thanks for the response. After I turn the gas on and reset the system I can hear the electronic ignition lighting the gas. Wouldn’t that indicate there is power to the unit?

Indicates 12v power going to unit. Did you check plug as requested and if no power there, the breaker for 110?
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
Indicates 12v power going to unit. Did you check plug as requested and if no power there, the breaker for 110?

I have not as I am not currently at the unit. Gathering info as to what to do/look for when I am back to the unit.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
I have not as I am not currently at the unit. Gathering info as to what to do/look for when I am back to the unit.

[emoji106]
Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Catman is correct .sparking is from 12v battery . Nothing to do with 110v electric.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Double check your GFCI plug inside your camper too. This summer my outside plug didn’t work. After checking plug on kitchen wall I finally figured out it shared the bathroom circuit which that GFCI was tripped. You never know!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

My wife is out at the camper along with My brother in-law. I had them take off the panel. The unit was never even plugged into the outlet from when it was put together at Crossroads!!! All is working now.
Here is where I am extremely miffed and didn’t give previous details on. Because Crossroads did not plug in the unit all meet in freezer and food in fridge rotted and leaked all inside the cracks and crevices. On top of that we got maggots all on the inside. My wife has cleaned inside multiple times but the smell is still bad. After cleaning the maggots out, as the unit cooled more appeared from I’m assuming the cracks and crevices.
I am afraid if the smell doesn’t go away we may have to replace the unit because of a manufacturer mistake.

How hard is the unit to remove in order for me to try and clean the sides, back etc.?

Thanks for all the trouble shooting replies!!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I personally ave never changed one so I can’t tell you. I wouldn’t think it would be that hard though.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

If bought new the blame is on your dealer, & you! Your dealer is paid to do an inspection once it arrives at the dealership. They should've had the fridge running & cooled down the day you took delivery when you did your PDI.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Domestic Freezer/Fridge Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If bought new the blame is on your dealer, & you! Your dealer is paid to do an inspection once it arrives at the dealership. They should've had the fridge running & cooled down the day you took delivery when you did your PDI.

If the propane was on which it was, the fridge would have been and was working.
So the blame still remains with the manufacturer.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

No ideas to get the smell out or how to take the unit out?
Old 09-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I have a Norcold which has a black bezel around the from. Looks like it’s screwed on in 4 places. I think once you figure out bezel removal it would be straight forward on what’s needed to remove fridge. As far as cleaning, a bleach solution should help.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
I have a Norcold which has a black bezel around the from. Looks like it’s screwed on in 4 places. I think once you figure out bezel removal it would be straight forward on what’s needed to remove fridge. As far as cleaning, a bleach solution should help.

Thank you
Old 09-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

There is a you tube video on the step by step instructions to take it out. I had to trash the one that we had and bought a residential one instead
Keithdodge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
New Camper

There is probably no juice going to your fridge try plugging a lamp to see if it works. I just had the same problem. My gfi plug in the trailer had jumped so just reset it
gaslou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaslou View Post
There is probably no juice going to your fridge try plugging a lamp to see if it works. I just had the same problem. My gfi plug in the trailer had jumped so just reset it

See post #9
Old 09-29-2019, 04:38 PM   #19
Site Team

Just a few thoughts. Open it up and let it air out then wash thoroughly with a bleach solution then rinse with water then wash with a baking soda and water solution dry thoroughly then close it up with a few boxes of baking soda poured in a pan . Also charcoal works good to help remove odors. Should help some. We had a freezer that somehow got unplugged and thats what we did. It may take more than one application.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

My power went out a few months ago and then gas ran out. Had soft shell crabs in it. The smell was awful. Tried on the tricks in the book to get smell out. Was close to just replacing it when ServPro Fire and Water Restoration rep loaned me an O-zone machine. Had to run it for about 4 hours with no one or pets in camper. It was amazing. The smell was gone. Good luck.