Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

dometic ac not efficient

Bought a 2012 sunset trail reserve 29ss a few weeks ago and all is well with it except the AC is not working well in my opinion…which is driving me insane.

I have it under a big metal awning at our deer lease and during the day I cannot get the inside temp under 75. It isn't hot but it definitely is not keeping me cold or freezing us out…...I previously had a 2001 30ft trailer before this with no slides and a coleman mach ac (13,500btu)…that thing would turn you into a popsicle if you left it on even when it was 100+ outside.

Now I have a better insulated trailer with a newer AC which I'm assuming is 15,000 BTU and it will not work for us. At night it will get cold but still not freezing cold. I've also noticed when I put it on hi or low there is no difference with how hard the air is blowing out the vents. I got on top of the rig, cleaned everything, cleaned the filter inside, and tightened it down but this thing is still not being very efficient. I'm at the point I want to get rid of this loud dometic junker and switch to a coleman but I hate spending the money when I just bought this trailer and it still smells brand new. Anyone have any insight or tips??
luke0872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It could be a 13.5 but that should still be enough.
What is the temp outside?
Does it feel like enough air is blowing out the ducts? I'm assuming it's ducted.
Can you open the dump at the unit and let it just blow out there and is it cold?
Does the compressor ever cycle off or does it just keep cranking trying to cool the unit?
It could just need to be charged.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I agree that it should still be plenty even at a 13,500.

Outside temp was 90, but the trailer is under a 30x40 cover which should help out somewhat.

It blows cold air thru vents and thru dump just not hard enough I guess. Whether on low or high the amount of air coming from vents does not change…

Compressor cycles on and off if it's in auto mode.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Site Team

If it's not large enough, are you setup for a bedroom AC?? That might be your answer.

But the HI LOW is the fan is of concern. I believe the AC is only controlled by the thermostat and pumps out the cool air and that you could just increase the speed by the fan. Check the thermostat also.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

No I am not…it is a 30amp trailer.

What do you mean increase the speed by the fan and check thermostat? If I just use the fan option instead of AC it will not be near as cold of air correct? How do I go about checking thermostat correctly?
Old 06-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke0872 View Post
No I am not…it is a 30amp trailer.

What do you mean increase the speed by the fan and check thermostat? If I just use the fan option instead of AC it will not be near as cold of air correct? How do I go about checking thermostat correctly?
which thermostat do you have? There is a mode setting, and on ac there are fan settings, again depending on which stat. you have.