Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a Dometic A/C (Brisk Air) probably manufactured in 2004. (2005 Cruiser) I do not have access to my owners manual (specs) at this time and I was not able to find the answer to my question on the Dometic site. I know I can call Dometic, however if some one has knowledge and/or experience with my situation it will save me going through the "phone tree" and playing phone tag.

I am trying to determine if my A/C has a built-in delay start on the compressor. I assume this is to prevent damage to the compressor due to intermittent power loss. I am installing 110 volt AC power protection device and it has a feature that automatically reconnects the AC should it shut down for any of a number of reasons.

There is an option of a 15 or 136 second AC reconnect time. If my A/C HAS the built-in delay, the instruction state to use the 15 second delay. If my A/C DOES NOT have the built-in delay, the 136 second delay is advised.

Obviously the 15 second reconnect delay would be preferable. On the other hand, I certainly don't want to put my air conditioner in harms way. If I can't get a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance,

Robert</span>

100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

100ton, shouldn't need no manual. Just try it out.

Power your unit up and set fan switch on thermostat to ON, not Auto

Adjust temp and allow A/C to begin cooling.

Turn off the A/C breaker or Main brkr for just a few seconds.

When you re-energerize the breaker, does the fan immediately come back on, with no cooling (then you have the timer and it's working)

If the fan and compressor immediately come on with cooling(may even take a few seconds delay), then you either don't have the timer or the timer is none functional.

Then begin the phone tag.

NOTE: DOING THIS PROCEDURE REPEATEDLY MAY/CAN DAMAGE YOUR COMPRESSOR!

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

It has a 5 minute delay for power loss.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all of you for the reply's.

I do have the wall mounted thermostat that I upgraded to the Hunter digital model, which by the way, performs without a hitch. The Hunter digital thermostat is one of the easiest and most rewarding upgrades out there in my opinion.

Thanks to this site and its members, I now have a basis to go forward with my power supply upgrade.

See you out there,

Robert</span>

100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Generally all A/C compressors have an internal overcurrent trip that operates when the compressor motor is stalled. A stall trip can occur after a short term power loss of perhaps a few seconds.

If the A/C is running and the power is turned off for a few seconds and then turned on, the load on the compressor motor is too much for it to rotate.The internal trip to occur to protect the motor because of the high starting current .The motor stallis due the high back pressures in the refrigerant side of the compressor. Thisinternal tripwill reset in about 10 secondsand attempt to restart themotor. The actual restart of the compressor is not fixed because it totally depends on the rate at which the refrigerant depressurizes in the system. The trip may reset itself several times before the compressor is running again. This could take asmuch as a minute. That's why it's good practice to turn off the A/C for about 3 minutes before restarting it after momentary power outage.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote