Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question Dometic Fridge not working on electric, but does on propane?

We took our 2011 Zinger camper out this weekend. We loaded it up Thursday night and switched the fridge “gas” so that it cooled down faster. We headed out of town Friday morning, and got to camp Friday afternoon. I switched the fridge over to “Auto” which should have forced it to run on electric.

Everything seemed fine, but when we opened the freezer Saturday night, it was melted….and we noticed that the freezer and fridge were getting warm.

I went ahead and switched it back over to “gas”….and luckily, in a few hours everything started getting cool again.

Any idea on where to start troubleshooting this issue? Could the control panel with the on/off and gas/auto buttons be faulty?

Any other ideas?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Check the GFCI that feeds the fridge outlet to be sure that you have 120v to the fridge.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Team

First take the vent door off on the outside of the camper and check the 110 outlet and see if it has voltage. Other possibilities could be a burnt out heating element or a bad board. Someone posted that theirs was unplugged so start with the plug and work from there.
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

****UPDATE****

Well, before I did any troubleshooting.....I went ahead and plugged the camper back into shore power....turned the fridge on, and put it on "auto".....so it was running on power, not gas.

I checked it about an hour later....and sure enough, the freezer was getting frosty.

So at this point...it's not a fuse, or a bad 120v receptacle.....it's intermittent. How do I even start checking things now when it's working fine? Does that sound like a bad board or control panel? I thought that when those go bad.....they go bad, they don't start working again after a few days.

Ideas?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

Is your RV 50 amp? If so the park pedestal may have lost one leg of that circuit thereby shutting down 1/2 of your RV.
If you don't have a surge protector/EMS, hardwired or portable, I'd recommend getting one ASAP & use EVERY TIME you plug in anywhere, it would've caught this problem & shut it down to prevent damage to your rv. Yes they are pricey, but so is replacing the fridge, water heater, TV's or any of the electronics onboard.
There's 2 items that should be mandatory for every RV, #1 the surge protector & #2 a true adjustable water pressure regulator to connect at the incoming faucet.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
Site Team

If your refrigerator is in a slide check the junction box under the slide. You may have a intermittent or loose connection.
dagst1 is online now   Reply With Quote