Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Our Cruiser has a Dometic DM 2652 refrigerator. I have had an issue with the refrigerator section not getting below 42 degrees. I had the mobile service guy come out. He saw the cap at the end of the drain tube to be missing. I had this replaced once before but did not notice it missing this time. The tech explained that the cap prevents most of the outside hot air coming up the tube into the fridge like a chimney. The cap has been replaced.

Since taking delivery I have wondered how the plastic slide one the top right coil could change the fridge temperature. I also saw the thermistor dangling between the coils. After some research I discovered that the thermistor should have been attached to the plastic slide since Day One. Sliding the slide, with thermistor attached, up moves the thermistor toward the top of the adjacent coil where it is warmer at the top. This action should make it cooler in the fridge.

Comments or experience is most welcome!

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Mine is attached to the end cooling fin and does work -

takes a little while for the new temp to stabilize. I have a small thermometer (

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rmometer/37123)

in the frig so I can tell what it has cooled down to - then adjust the

"slide" as needed. (just checked

mine for "placement"). I have

not had any problems reaching the desired temp - about 40 degrees.

I do not think the cap had anything to do with it - it will keep larger bugs out - maybe spiders which tend to make nests and prevent draining.

The sensor is supposed to be placed in the plastic

slider and moving the slider adjusts the temperature.The capillary tube of the thermostat runs from the thermostat to the fins inside the refrigerator. It senses the temperature inside the refrigerator and controls the thermostat accordingly. On the electric side the thermostat simply opens and closes the heat element circuit. The thermostat switches the gas flame between high and low flame to control the temperature on the gas side.</span>

look at these links:http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25282105.cfm

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...s.asp?TID=2357

Found this too:http://www.snip-the-tip.com/cgi-bin/articca.cgi

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Art if your thermistor was just hanging there loose, I can see where it wouldn't/couldn't cool. By the sounds of it, you got it under control, figured out, and most important, working.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

On the subject of Dometic and refrigerators. My Zinger's fridge works fine. No issues. Question is about the cooling fan in the back. It seems to cycle on/off a lot. Is this fan hooked up to the cooling element so that when cooling takes place, the fan runs. No matter the outside temp, the fan seems to come on for 15 to 20 seconds, shuts off, then on again for the same time, then off. Sometimes, like right now, it's off and not cycling.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

The fan is controlled by heat sensors attached to the coils on the refrigerator. It is designed to come on when the heat of the coils reaches a certain temperature and shut off when the coils have been cooled to a shut off point. It sounds like you may have a problem with the sensors. Check to see if the wires are tightly connected to the sensors attached to the coil. If it continues to cycle the way you have described you may need to replace the fan or sensors.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Absorption fridges are notorious for not working well in hot weather and that's the reason for the extra fan. The more air that you can move over the coils at the back of the fridge the better. Heat is needed to circulate the ammonia liquor through the fridge circuit and that extra heat has to be removed to the outside. When the weather is cool, that's not a problem but when the weather is hot, the ammonia doesn't work as efficiently and that's when extra air movement to remove the excess heat is needed. I added two computer fans that I control with a thermostat to add extra air movement to the coils on the back of our fridge.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have a Valtera thermostatically controlled fan on order from Amazon. The fan comes on at 90 degrees. Meanwhile, the temperature inside the fridge is about 38, a cool down of 4 degrees since the cap was put on the drain tube and the thermistor moved to the correct place.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote