Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Don’t have to have a leak to get mold!

Even though I don’t live in a flood area here in NC, still with all this rain this summer I’ve been having trouble keeping mildew out of my 5er. I keep my 5er in an enclosed metal building with a concrete floor. I have kept all my units over the years in this building with no problems. I will also say that I always keep several damp rid containers inside the unit. About a month ago I found some mildew inside the camper. My wife wiped everything down with bleach water. We are planning a trip next month on the 10th and I went yesterday to check things out. And again the mildew was on the couch, floor and even on some stuff in the closet. So, I pulled the 5er out into the driveway; my wife again wiped everything down with bleach water. We added an extra damp rid. I turned on the heat and the fan in the bedroom. And the rain continues!!!! What does everyone else do in rainy areas. Not use to this.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Site Team

We run an small oscillating fan to keep the air moving. Seems to help. Small ceramic heater drys it out.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Do you leave any roof vents open. Ours sets outside on a concreate pad and we leave the bathroom vent open to help circulate air. We have the Max vents so no water gets in. But you have had a lot of water over there so it may just be a temporary thing if this is the first time you have had this problem.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Do you leave any roof vents open. Ours sets outside on a concreate pad and we leave the bathroom vent open to help circulate air. We have the Max vents so no water gets in. But you have had a lot of water over there so it may just be a temporary thing if this is the first time you have had this problem.
I don’t usually open roof vents because of the moisture inside the building due to the metal and different of temps inside and out. Never had this happen before but don’t want it to happen again.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I would go with a dehumidifier. We had a mobile home in Louisiana my wife inherited. I set a dehumidifier on the cabinet and let it drain in the sink.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
Site Team

When we bought our home it had a 30 x 45 metal shed with a gravel floor we had a concreate floor poured and it would "sweat" so I had 3 turbines added to the roof and gable vents and that helped with the "sweating". Just wish it was tall enough to get the camper in.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
Site Team

Ted, My building is metal with a cement floor. I have a louvered vent in the peak on each end wall.

I run a pretty good size fan that sits on the floor in front and blows back towards the camper. It runs 24/7, 365 days a year. I have the windows all cracked open a ways, the roof vents open, and the door stays open.
So far now all as been OK.
I think the moving air is the trick with the camper opened up.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:07 AM   #8
Site Team

I store mine in a metal shed on a concrete floor. I keep a dehumidifier inside mine. The dehumidifier pumps the water into the kitchen sink while it's at home. I keep it set at 50% humidity.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote