Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
New Camper

Door locks are a pain

Anyone have problems with their door looks. I have to turn my key back and forth a bunch of times before it will unlock.
Timmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Spray a little WD-40 in the lock and work it. See if that helps.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

Better yet use some silicone spray with wax on the bolt latch plate, in my opinion WD40 is for rusted bolts only as it's a dirt/dust magnet.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I agree, DW-40 would cause more problems, Lock-Ease is what you want it contains Graphite. Just squeeze a little in each lock once a year your set. Amazon has it.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I've had locks just flat wear out. They are nowhere near as sturdy as house locks and interior parts can bend, snap off short or just wear down so they work poorly or not at all. Try the dry lubricant first, of course, but you may need (or want) to replace. Hope the lube works for you!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
Lock-Ease is what you want it contains Graphite. Just squeeze a little in each lock once a year your set. Amazon has it.
You are right. I stand corrected.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmers View Post
Anyone have problems with their door looks. I have to turn my key back and forth a bunch of times before it will unlock.
The DW and I had the same problem. We literally stood there and had to figure out how they functioned.
There is a little emblem embossed in the lock set. That is the key to the conundrum. If you turn the key to match that emblem it functions quite differently.
What started this for us, is that we could not figure out how to get into the bathroom door and keep it unlocked once closed. We always had to use the keys. Once we figured it out all is good.
One thing we found was, use the bottom lock to always use the key to enter once the door is closed. Like when you leave the CG. That is like a deadbolt at home. If you open the deadbolt part and only use the upper portion you will be able to open and close the doors with or without a key. Case in point for the bathroom door. Every time we closed it, it locked. So we had to deactivate the deadbolt part and open the lock part to allow entry all the time. When we leave we lock both.

This is very hard to explain on an email, so you will have to play with it, thinking deadbolt and door lock. Once that is figured out, play with the locks to lock and unlock and getting confused and frustrated will end.

I hope this helps and answers your question.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

I'm curious WHY the bathroom door would be deadbolted?? I replaced the cheap door handle on my toilet door & used a closet set with NO locking capability. The doors/door locks on these rvs are just to keep honest people out, I could be inside one in about 10 seconds with nothing but a screwdriver, also any of the outside compartments.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm curious WHY the bathroom door would be deadbolted?? I replaced the cheap door handle on my toilet door & used a closet set with NO locking capability. The doors/door locks on these rvs are just to keep honest people out, I could be inside one in about 10 seconds with nothing but a screwdriver, also any of the outside compartments.
Totally agreed. I think the deadbolt lock assembly is a ruse to let people sleep at night.
My girls like the fact that the bathroom door once closed does lock so no accidental intruder appears.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Are you referring to an interior door Texan? Some of us have an outside door that opens into the bathroom, which I believe the poster that brought it up was referring to, but I could be wrong. Which my outside door to the bathroom does have a deadbolt.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

Not familiar with the OP rv, so an outside door entering into a bathroom makes sense, a bathroom door with a deadbolt was a bit odd.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Not odd at all when considering the cost of added inventory on the manufacturers side. One lock for two doors.
These things are not always built for the consumer, but to keep costs low and margins high. All manufacturers do it every day.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

I've also run into the issue that when the trailer is out of level from L to R. The door do not close well and the locks do not function correctly.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote