Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Ok I have a question, after a weekend camp trip I decided not to wait in line to empty the tanks. My question is since the level in the tanks is only about 1/3 to a 1/2, what's the longest you have waited to empty your tanks. I'm not looking forhow long you can go before having to empty the tanks but how long you would allow stuff to sit in the tanks.

Thanks!!!Edited by: scott
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would think with the grey tanks you could go for a while without a problem. The black tank, not so much. We just spent 10 days at some friends property and we had water and electric but no sewer. I was adding a couple of onces of Orange TST every couple of days to the black tank but by the time we got back to dump the black tank it was getting pretty ripe I am sure. But the 100* plus days probably did not help things. If you are in a cooler climate that should help you some.Edited by: Hunter11
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
New Camper

i agree with hunter11. it may get pretty stinky after a couple days, maybe after a couple hours depending on what's in the black tank. especially in the heat. we empty every time. some rest-stops have dumping stations too...

Edited by: ETJMLJ

Currently live in Chesterfield, VA

Own a 2004 Crossroads Cruiser~CF27RL
ETJMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Empty the tank and if you have the right connections, flush it out as well. Our first camper (ever, purchased used in 1979) had a right unpleasant surprise waiting for us. The previous owner hadn't dumped the tank & us being newbies, didn't know any better. The first night on the first trip, we found out that we couldn't use the toilet (not good with 3 small kids). I don't think they'd even put any chemicals into the toilet either. At any rate, not pleasant.

Had to hook up the next morning and go dump.

Now I dump and flush the tank every trip, put water (5 gal or so), water softener, soap, and germacide back into it, and let it slosh around as we drive, then go to the local state park and dump it again. Once home, I put 5 gal of water, orange chemical (name escapes me) valve lube, softener, and some soap back into the tank until the next trip.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
New Camper

my dad said he puts a bag of ice and a bottle of bleach in his tank after he dumps at a campground. the ice scrubs the tank going down the road. he lives in the boondocks. so he can dump when he gets home. works good for him.

Edited by: ETJMLJ

Currently live in Chesterfield, VA

Own a 2004 Crossroads Cruiser~CF27RL
ETJMLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
hhh
Seasonal Camper

First, you want the black water tanks close to full before dumping. The force of the water leaving the tank will help flush out any solids. In my last rig I would go 2 weeks before dumping and only dumped then because my grey water tanks were full. Since I camp alone a 30 gal tank in that rig last me that long. Now with 2 30 gal grey water tanks and40 gal black water I figure I'll be able to get close to a month of boondocking before needing to dump.

When you are done dumping always put in a couple gals of water in the black tank. This will keep any remaining solids from hardening. I'll add a cup of Pine-sol and a few oz. of Dawn with the with the water.

Edited by: hhh

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for the replies. I did check on the 5ver yesterday and all seems to be good. No bad smell or anything. I use the blue stuff from Wally world in all my tanks and have always followed the GEO method so I think that is working in my favor. The black tank is only at 1/3 so as HHH mentioned it really needs to have more fluid in it to get an effective dump. Since we are staying home this weekend I plan to add water to the black tank to get the level up then get it dumped and rinced. But it's good to know the tank and vent system is working, even if you leave the honey in the bucket for an extended period of time.

Hunter11, we haven't had the 100+ temps here so that might be helping me also. The 5ver is setting on concrete in a 40x40 building with good ventilation. If it were out in the weather this story might change.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

A few years ago I came home from a weekend trip in late September with the black tank about half full. I was planning a trip a week later so figured I would dump on my way to theCG. Alas, kid got sick so didn't go.

No problem, a trip was planned for a couple of weeks later. But again, no go. Work got in the way and I had to do an unscheduledtrip to Asia for a couple of weeks. Again, no problem because we were planning to go for a few days right after Thanksgiving. Of course fate being what it is, we had early season snow and then a winter of more snow than usual so more trips got cancelled. I dumped extra chemical in the black tank and kept the furnace on low on the coldest days.

I finally got out the first week of April. When Iwent to hook up at the CG I was prepared for the worst. But when I took the cap off there wasn't even a dribble leaked past the valve. I dumped the tank, flushed real good and had no odor problems after that. Iwouldn't recommend waiting 7 months to dump butI was able to do it that time because of good tank and valve maintanance.

I certainly wouldn'twant to letit go that long over the summer.But, the following summer we were remodelling our house and ended up using the trailer to live out of for part of the time. I think we went about 3 weeks at one point without being able to get out to dump the tanks. It was the hottest summer on record for our area but again no long termaffect.

I think if you have taken care of the tanks and valves, use some chemical,a few weeks shouldn't be a problem.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Patrick, you mentioned "good tank and valve" maintenance. I know what good tank maintenance is but what are you calling "good valve" maintenance? I can't even see my valves only the pull handles in the basement.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Kenny, I have one of them older rigs. My valves have the T handle right at the valve to open and close. I hit the handle stem with some lube about every 4th time I have them open. Also slide them in and out a few times tomake sure they are sliding freely. The black tank valve is located right at the drain opening so I can hit the valve itself with a lube the guy at the local RV repair place gave me. Supposed to keep the seals from drying out.Sorry can't think of the name right now.. I think with the cable actuated valves you can usea cable lube to keep the cable moving freely. Not sure what else can be done.

I know one of the RV chemical companys makes a product that is supposed to lube the valves if you pour it into the tank. I have never gone that far. Always keeping a little liquid in the tanks I think will keep the valve seals from drying out.

I broke the handle offthe grey tank valve on my previous TT. It was stuck soI figured just pull harder. Replaced it myself, decided I didn't want to do that again especially to a black tank valve.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Patrick, I think I'll squirt some Triflow onto the shafts when I dump them this morning, can't hurt

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote