Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just bought a dryer to put in our Hampton trailer. We've never done this before and would appreciate any tips on drilling the hole for the vent through the rear wall( exterior is fiberglass)

Thanks

ewp5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #2

I see by the picture that you use this unit as a permanant setup. Anyway, that really doesn't matter. When I look at something like this I think of the resale value. If you ever decide to sell the unit, someone else may not want a dryer vent hole cut out through the side. If I were you I would cut the vent in the floor and run the vent down and then attach the vent to the side edge of the unit. Male sure you seal the underneath with the expanding foam to keep critters out. Just my opinion of course.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

ewp5354, you might call Crossroads and see if someone could tell you where a good place would be to drill the hole for the dryer vent. Some manufactures have the spot marked where you should drill it. You are going to have to make sure you hit between two studs and that there are no water lines or wiring where you intend to drill.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

The cutting in of the vent will be the easy part. The vent should come with a template, lay the template over the outside wall and use a marker to outline the shape. Drill a starter hole in the middle. Next, grab a roto zip (preferably a variable speed model), set the depth to 1/2"and make the cut following your guide lines. Go inside and repeat the process. I wouldn't attempt to gut through the entire 2" thickness of the wall with the Rotozip at once due to deflection.

The hardest part is getting a diagram/schematic of the wall you intend to cut into from Crossroads. Call the CS line and ask for a drawing of the wall you intend to cut into. Depending how high on the wall you are placing this there could be cable/electrical/water lines in the way.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

thanks for all the info. Tara has faxed me a diagram which should help. In view of the 1st reply, has anyone used the venting system which doesn't require any holes- you simply place the vent into some type of receptacle which will capture the lint. Does this work?
ewp5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I don't think a dryer vent will hurt the resale of your trailer at all especially being a park model trailer. If you are going to install a dryer vent it outside.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Yes, my Brother had one in his garage, due to the dryer not being on an outside wall. It was always very humid in his garage & the paint eventually started peeling.
'12 Crossroads Rushmore RF38FL (ours!)
Barry, the ADHD x 2 German Shepherd mix, Granddog.
FFFord is offline   Reply With Quote