Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Cool Dumb battery charging question

I have a 2015 Crossroads Cruiser 326RE. There are 2 12-volt in-line batteries in separately sealed and located cases. Any useful tips on charging batteries when your generator in travel has not sufficiently recharged them? Obviously we can remove batteries but that is certainly not convenient and not allowed to have camper at home to simply plug in. Just not sure how to charge the two batteries without removing from their cases.
tlcjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

First of all, when your not using the Cruiser are you disconnecting the batteries? Your vehicle should recharge while traveling. You can either unhook main line to battery each time your finished camping or add a disconnect for your batteries. If your not unhooking or disconnecting the batteries they will run down if not lugged in while not in use.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
First of all, when your not using the Cruiser are you disconnecting the batteries? Your vehicle should recharge while traveling. You can either unhook main line to battery each time your finished camping or add a disconnect for your batteries. If your not unhooking or disconnecting the batteries they will run down if not lugged in while not in use.
Plugged in
Old 06-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If they are indeed 12 volt batteries, then they would be wired in parallel, not series, even if they are located separately. As such, you should be able to simply clamp on a regular battery-tender type of small charger to either one of the batteries, (red to +, black to -), and that charger SHOULD charge the two batteries together. If you can't bring your rig home, do you have an outlet at the storage facility to plug the charger into?
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Extremely informative. It was confusing having the two batteries in separate sealed boxes but removing a separate cover was able to find a separately located positive terminal and ran a battery charger off my generator to charge. I think it is solved and really appreciate the forum.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcjmartin View Post
Extremely informative. It was confusing having the two batteries in separate sealed boxes but removing a separate cover was able to find a separately located positive terminal and ran a battery charger off my generator to charge. I think it is solved and really appreciate the forum.
It seems you still have a problem or two. Running the generator should run the converter, and that should charge the batteries. Also, as mentioned, towing the TT with the 7-pin plugged into the truck should also charge the batteries. It's not normal to have to run an extra wire like this. As a first step, measure voltage across one battery when everything is off and not plugged into shore power, and generator is not running. It should be around 12 volts. Then either start the generator or plug into shore power, and measure again. It should be around 13.6 volts or higher. If not, the converter is not charging the battery. Then turn off generator and/or disconnect shore power. You should be back to 12 volts. Then plug in 7 pin to tow vehicle and start the truck. It should be back up to 13.6. If not, you have a blown fuse in the truck.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

That's what I was about to say, if running the generator to power the charger should be double charging the batteries.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
It seems you still have a problem or two. Running the generator should run the converter, and that should charge the batteries. Also, as mentioned, towing the TT with the 7-pin plugged into the truck should also charge the batteries. It's not normal to have to run an extra wire like this. As a first step, measure voltage across one battery when everything is off and not plugged into shore power, and generator is not running. It should be around 12 volts. Then either start the generator or plug into shore power, and measure again. It should be around 13.6 volts or higher. If not, the converter is not charging the battery. Then turn off generator and/or disconnect shore power. You should be back to 12 volts. Then plug in 7 pin to tow vehicle and start the truck. It should be back up to 13.6. If not, you have a blown fuse in the truck.
Perfect advice
Old 06-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

One issue I had with mine (6V set up) was they were so low, that even charging for a half day at the house and then again during the drive and then again on the genie for 6 hours at the campground, they were never really fully recharging. So they would discharge faster than expected even though the "battery charge" indicator on the camper made them look full.

I had to take them out and charge for 2 days straight on a charger to get them truly full.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
One issue I had with mine (6V set up) was they were so low, that even charging for a half day at the house and then again during the drive and then again on the genie for 6 hours at the campground, they were never really fully recharging. So they would discharge faster than expected even though the "battery charge" indicator on the camper made them look full.

I had to take them out and charge for 2 days straight on a charger to get them truly full.
You might want either "load" test them, or use a hydrometer. They might be in tough shape by the sounds of it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You might want either "load" test them, or use a hydrometer. They might be in tough shape by the sounds of it.
They were brand new, the trickle draw just killed them. I took them back to the manufacture and they were dead. Couldn't test they were so dead. So they charged them for the weekend and now supposed to be good to go. Will know more Saturday at about 4AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
New Camper

a sailor's thoughts on batteries.

Although I am a newbie RVer, I am a sailboat owner and battery banks and power are critical when sailing and not connected to shore power. One simple and relatively carefree way to keep batteries in shape if your RV is at a storage location without access to power is to attach a solar panel that provides a trickle charge to the batteries. If you are using lead acid batteries make sure you check the water levels in each cell monthly. The top of the cell plates must be covered with water or they will begin to degrade, but do not overfill as that acid is nasty stuff. If your solar panel produces more than a small trickle charge you will need a controller. So, do your homework. I am planning on upgrading my single battery to two Trojan or DEKA 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries. My sailboat battery bank has 4 DEKA 255 AMP hour 6 volt batteries which provides me with a total of 510 amp hours at 12 volts. I would do the same for the RV except for the weight and space limitations of the RV. If you search on sailboat sites you will find a wealth of information regarding battery setup and maintenance. Good luck.
Lefty Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Good post Lefty.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote