Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Electric Awning motor

I posted in a seperated thread that I replaced my Lippert Awning motor and it is working. I've noticed a couple things. First, last season it was working, went out quickly but coming in it kind of stuttered. I noticed this new motor is doing the same thing. I wonder if it is the struts that allow it to automatically dump rain water. I have greased them, but I woder if they are too stiff? If they were failing, they would have no strength. This awning is on the slide. The front awning is not a problem.
SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

On mine the slide awning is slow & stutters also, I suspect that the problem is the long run of wire to the motor is of too small of gauge & the resistance lowers the voltage causing the issue. Just my .02 cents.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
On mine the slide awning is slow & stutters also, I suspect that the problem is the long run of wire to the motor is of too small of gauge & the resistance lowers the voltage causing the issue. Just my .02 cents.
I connected the new motor to the 12V supply coming off camper before installing. It was pretty quick. Both awnings originally went out at the same speed and came back in at a slower speed with a studded on the slide awning. I've greased the piston shafts, but I think they might be causing resistance because of the load they are expected to carry.https://youtu.be/pl6dZXHZTBM
Old 06-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

I had to replace the struts on my slide awning & it seemed to only affect extending the awning, the fabric would just unroll off the roller & the arms wouldn't move out without help, once out they would roll up fine just slow.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I had to replace the struts on my slide awning & it seemed to only affect extending the awning, the fabric would just unroll off the roller & the arms wouldn't move out without help, once out they would roll up fine just slow.
When extending the awning the pressure is being taken off the struts, so it should go out easier? Bringing the awning in compresses the struts.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I replace our awning motor about 2 months back, and both extend and retract are pretty close the same speed. If anything , retract might be just a hair off, but no shuttering. But it works good. Got the motor from CW. This all happened 4 days after we got it home from buying it.

Sean,, Forgot to ask does yours have springs on opposite side, mine does and had to adjust and after doing that it worked great.
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

[QUOTE=SeanRN;124975]When extending the awning the pressure is being taken off the struts, so it should go out easier? Bringing the awning in compresses the struts.[/QU
The pressure on the struts are naturally extended & therefore push the arms out when extending, if the struts are worn out there's no outward pressure to move the arms thus fabric just unrolls & made no difference retracting.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSS Slingshot View Post
I replace our awning motor about 2 months back, and both extend and retract are pretty close the same speed. If anything , retract might be just a hair off, but no shuttering. But it works good. Got the motor from CW. This all happened 4 days after we got it home from buying it.

Sean,, Forgot to ask does yours have springs on opposite side, mine does and had to adjust and after doing that it worked great.
I don't know if there are springs, I'll have to get a ladder, take the covery off and check it out. Thanks for the tip! Would be nice if it's that easy.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:

If I find springs in the other end, is it adjustment difficult? I replaced the motor on the other end, just thinking of the manual awnings with the springs in them that were the equivalent of a bear trap.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We have a Dometic awning. Is your motor located inside the aluminum tube , located on the front side of awning. OUr motor is about 15 inches long, totally enclosed, on front end cap, and adjustment on opposite end. and when we bought the motor from CW, the tech gave us tips how to do it. My wife also looked up on you tube which was a big help and could not have done this job without her help.

The struts do push out during the extending mode, and when retracting, motor is going against the struts compressing the struts back in. With that principal, seems the motor has to work harder to retract, espically being located on one side of awning, that is just my theory or thinking. When you extend, the struts are helping it go out.
Hope this helps out
Old 06-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
We have a Dometic awning. Is your motor located inside the aluminum tube , located on the front side of awning. OUr motor is about 15 inches long, totally enclosed, on front end cap, and adjustment on opposite end. and when we bought the motor from CW, the tech gave us tips how to do it. My wife also looked up on you tube which was a big help and could not have done this job without her help.

The struts do push out during the extending mode, and when retracting, motor is going against the struts compressing the struts back in. With that principal, seems the motor has to work harder to retract, espically being located on one side of awning, that is just my theory or thinking. When you extend, the struts are helping it go out.
Hope this helps out
My awning is a Lippert, the motor is outside.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

When I originally post about my awning motor, I remember seeing a motor on the outside, saying they can grease it etc and it looked like a chevy truck power window motor. But Not on mine since it is internally in the awning tube, front right looking at it. I do believe you have no adjustments on opposite end, but could be wrong.

Anyway hope you get if resolved.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

The new motor is starting to do the same as the old one. It's a head scratcher. CW is no help, called over a week ago about having the original replaced on warranty, haven't heard a thing. Could have called that one.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

You'll either have a Dometic or Carefree awning , I'd call either one of them & quit being aggravated by CW.

Tags
electric awning