Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

electric awning problem

My electric awning will not retract sometimes and ive tried using the remote to retract the awning but that doesnt work either so its not a bad switch on the control panel. I just have to keep pushing the switch several times until it finally decides to retract. Any ideas what is wrong?
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

If you have a DC meter, or DC electrical trouble light you could check if you have current between motor and switch when switch is pushed, if so then its closer to the motor, maybe motor connection, brushes, or armature,
Old 09-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
If you have a DC meter, or DC electrical trouble light you could check if you have current between motor and switch when switch is pushed, if so then its closer to the motor, maybe motor connection, brushes, or armature,
I can hear a click sound when I push the switch in but I will check the current. Thanks
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
New Camper

I had trouble two different times with the rear slide awning on our 2015 Cruiser. The awning failed to retract. I was able to perform an emergency closure both times by standing on a picnic table and connecting jumper cables to the motor feed wires.

Both times I tracked the problem to improperly installed wire blade crimps. The first time the crimp was under the slide directly behind where the motor wire passes through the slide wall and the second time was at the base of the awning slide arm. The wiring was manufactured with a short 2"-3" length of wire fed through the slide wall and then crimped to the wire feeding the awning motor and the wiring to the switch. I soldered the two connections and protected the connections with shrink wrap and have not had any problems since.
JW-DJhappyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Good info share.

Mine acts up too. Very upsetting, I was thinking, when it fails me, I will get a spring loaded awing. But now I have a place to go troubleshoot and see if I have the same issue. Thanks for sharing.
56Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Where would you do this test

For those of us new to this troubleshooting idea Where would you put the DC Light or meter to check for the electric?

Pull the switch out. Or on the Arm someplace?
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 AM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW-DJhappyduo View Post
I had trouble two different times with the rear slide awning on our 2015 Cruiser. The awning failed to retract. I was able to perform an emergency closure both times by standing on a picnic table and connecting jumper cables to the motor feed wires.

Both times I tracked the problem to improperly installed wire blade crimps. The first time the crimp was under the slide directly behind where the motor wire passes through the slide wall and the second time was at the base of the awning slide arm. The wiring was manufactured with a short 2"-3" length of wire fed through the slide wall and then crimped to the wire feeding the awning motor and the wiring to the switch. I soldered the two connections and protected the connections with shrink wrap and have not had any problems since.
Same here- I have a pic somewhere and it was the wife and I standing on the picnic table, holding our batter jumper, with screwdrivers in the jaws of the clamps. Pretty hilarious.

It turned out that my installers did not attach the wiring securely to the motor head. It had been installed a year prior. They were idiots.
wowitsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

my awning quit working after several yrs of working fine..... fuse was loose, fixed problem and have no idea how fuse worked itself loose after several yrs, but it did.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Expansion/contraction, hot/cold. that constant movement is likely the culprit in working things loose, like that fuse. It's the nature of the beast between metal and electric current (heat). All we can do is play along and hope the whole camping weekend isn't shot when physics throws us a curve ball.. Then Mother Nature also like to be included into the mix and likes to contribute to a weak spot every chance she gets.. lol...
Old 08-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Where is the Fuse locate I cant even find the maker of my awning. I think there is a sticker up under awning but I have to get a ladder to try & read it. Where would you troubleshoot the switch? Pull entire panel & match location of awning switch?
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
New Camper

Dometic 9100 convert from Power to Manual

I have a Dometic 9100 power awning. I’m not able to buy another electric motor because everybody is out of stock and it would take months to get. Is there a way I can make it a manual awning until I can get the electric motor? Can I put a spring rode in place of the electric motor like the manual awnings have? Please help.
migallep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Team

Is this what you need? https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-33104.../dp/B06XY5BRZC
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
Site Team

This is a deal if you motor is black.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Bla...kAAOSwo4pYke-f

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
New Camper

Yes this is what I need, but Dometic has a long wait for the Motor. So I was wanting to do something in the meantime until they were available. i go camping a lot.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
Site Team

The one on Amazon is in stock - 13 and delivery between 8/27 - 8/31.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:39 PM   #16
New Camper

Thanks for the info
Old 08-21-2020, 07:35 AM   #17
New Camper

Domestic 9100

I want to make sure i test the motor before buying a new one. I should be able to connect the motor directly to a 12v power source for testing. Any thoughts ?

All this stopped working when I changed out my Awning fabric. The motor wasn't dropped or anything just stopped working. but I also don't think I checked the fuse either. I'm going to pick it up from Storage after work today and do some troubleshooting.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Check the connections. Could have hit the wire While replacing the fabric and it’s not getting a good contact.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #19
New Camper

Will do thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #20
New Camper

Domestic 9100

I've tested the Motor by connecting it straight to a car battery all I get is a click. Any Ideas ?