Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Hi, just looking for some input on electric awnings, pros and cons or personal experiences.

- can they be tilted to one side for shedding rain?
- can you bypass the pressure sensor so they don't automatically role up in the wind or do they role up automatically?
Any input is appreciated, thanks.

2006 Chevy Duramax

2006 Malibu Vride
canacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Mine works great.You can tilt either side and they can be tied down. When tied down in very high wind,the awning will flap a lot because there isn't a way to use deflapers. There isn't a automatic closing on my awning.I think that is for the upper line, mostly Motor homes is what I have seen that option on.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Our PP came with the standard A&E 8500 awning. After the first trip we knew we would not be using the awning much because it was mounted so high on the trailer you had to have a ladder to put it in or out. We had the Carefree automatic arms installed which now makes it a breeze to use. Ours will auto tilt to one side to drain the water. We did not get the auto closing feature but can add it if we decide to later. We would not be without it now.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

We have the one and wouldn't have any other one. We don't chance anything I roll it up at night and when we leave. The only problem was hanging lights from it and having to remove them to roll it up. But thanks to Flenn I installed rope lights and the work GREAT! See my mods in the Mod section.
2008 Club Cart Precedent
https://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...olfcart2-1.jpg
Cajun TBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
If it is standard equiptment I'd take the electric. Even the Dometic A&E comes with adj. arms now so that's not a issue. If they want to charge me $$$ to have the electric I would elect NOT to get it. I prefer the flexibility of the manual models and the ability to anchor them down.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have the Carefree Eclipse power awning kit installed on my Cruiser and am very happy with it's performance and durability so far. I also purchased and installed the Direct Response kit from Carefree that lets you choose the sensitivity of the auto retract feature or disable it if desired. I had the A&E Weatherpro power awning on my previous 5th Wheel and it was troublesome at best,the wind sensor was useless and the auto dump feature was garbage!

The thing I like most about having a Power Awning is that the Wife or Kids canroll it up quickif neededshould something unexpected happen and I am not around. I have wrestled with a manual awning in a wind storm before and it is far from a pleasant experience!

2008 Cruiser CF32BL

2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC SB 8.1 Gasser / Allison. Tuning by Westers...
62dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Wehad an electric awning - sans auto features - on our old 5er, and we have one coming on the new unit; and I'll never to back to a manual awning. It's just too convenient when setting up, or getting caught in an unexpected wind/rain storm.

We always close it when we're gone from the site regardless of weather forcasts.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

ours works great but ours isnt recomended to tie it down and if i go ANYWARE we pull it in!!!!!!!!

Duramax,allison.etc.

2009 30SK Patriot edition

Pullrite 20.5k Super Fifth

https://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...b1/NewSpot.jpg
buddhabob1 is offline   Reply With Quote