Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 2009 Cruiser CF28RL that I am towing with a 2008 Chevy duramax. My problem is the the brakes will not activate on the trailer with the factory installed trailer brakes(ITBC) in the truck. I had the dealer test the 7 pin connector on the truck .The plug in tester showed that everything was fuctioning properly except the brake light on the tester was pulsing. I later found that the pulsing was normal it was how the unit would make a connection and since the tester presented no load the light would not remain on constantley. I further tested the ITBC at home and found that the ground and brake terminal in the 7 pin connector were operating in a normal manner. I am guessing that the eletric magnets circuit in the trailer may not present a significant enough load for the ITBC to identify it. Has anyone else come across this problem and if so how was it rectified?</span>
</span>
Pincher
</span>
</span>
</span>
pincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Since the vast majority of trailers, both RV and commercial use electric brakes, I doubt that GM would design a factory brake controller that would not work with them. But I don't have any experience with a factory controller. As I recall, each magnet will draw about 3 amps max at full 12V. With my Jordon controller, I have plenty of stopping force with the sensitivity turned down to about 25% of max. I would check the trailer wiring for an open connection to the magnets.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I tested my integrated brake controller on my 2500HD and agree it pulses and this is normal. You must use a special tester or ANALOG multimeter to see it. A digital multimeter will not show a voltage due to the pulsing. My controller works great and have been real happy with it. I would try taking a voltage reading at the wiring near the back of the brake backing plate.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Stan;

I had the dealer at Candan check it with a tester he plugged into the 7 pin receptical at the bumper and in the box. Everything looked normal except the led light that should indicate a brake applied was pulsating. I further tested the pin connections from ground to brake with a test light and it glowed without pulsating when the brake was applied. It is my understanding that the ITBC sends out this ping pulse to establish a connection. I don't no what load value is needed to set this connection. From what I have read on the GM forum this problem has been encountered with electric/hydrolic brake set ups and is related to magnets not being strong enough actuate the ITBC. The work around was to splice in a added resistance to the circuit.

I did a resistance check on the camper between the ground and brake pin on the female connector, it was 00.9 ohms. I have no reference to what this should be. I emailed Rudy at Crossroads find out what is standard resistance for the circuit.

The truck is under warranty so I have made a appointment to inspect and check the ITBC
Old 05-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

MY 2011 works very well. Have you tried adjusting the gain higher? Just trying to think of things that may help.

You might also try to either hitch up to a friends trailer or have them pull yours to see which is at fault.

Found this: 10 and 12 inch brake magnets resistance should be 3.2-3.5 OhmsEdited by: BipeFlier

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Do your brakes work or have they ever worked? Try pulling the emergency brake pin which will apply 12v directly to the brakes. You may need two people = listen for the brake magnets to lock to the hub. You can normally hear this by putting your ear next to each wheel as the pin is pulled.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincher
I did a resistance check on the camper between the ground and brake pin on the female connector, it was 00.9 ohms. I have no reference to what this should be. I emailed Rudy at Crossroads find out what is standard resistance for the circuit.Â*

The truck is under warranty so I have made a appointment to inspect and check the ITBCÂ*

0.9 ohms sounds about right for 4 magnets in parallel. That would be 13.3 amps at 12 volts.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Stan;

I hooked up the 7 point connector between the truck and camper had my neighbour operate the manual trailer brake slider and alternatley depress the truck brake peddle while I listened at each wheel for the sound of the magnets. I heard the them operating in each wheels as the slider was activated and the brake peddle was depressed. When he pulled apart the break away I heard nothing at the the wheel and the message , service trailer brake popped up in the dash display on the truck. Is this a norma displayl when the break away is activated? This is all new to me.

Pincher
Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Sounds like the brakes are working. What you don't know is if they are being applied strongly enough as you use the slider - ie more deflection on the slider = more voltage at the brakes resulting in stronger brake application. I get a similar warning when the pin is pulled.

To me me the next step would be to measure the voltage at the brakes to see if it is going "up" as you depress the brakes. Not sure of actual voltages but you should see a range of at least 0 - 10volts going into the magnets as you move the slider.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

You're towing with basically the same truck I have. My trailer brake gain is set to 6.5. I had a problem when we first got the trailer in that the brakes didn't seem to be engaging properly. This was due to an adjustment issue that when adjusted properly, worked great.

I did have a bit of a scare (fortunately on a relatively flat road) with a "check trailer wiring" message. The connector had vibrated out a little from the in-bed connector. The truck was still able to handle the additional weight but it's not something I want to do every day.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote