Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

electric stabilizer stuck

Guys,

I arrived at the campground tonight and my front stabilizers are stuck. The motor won't move them and neither will the manual crank. It won't budge. They are up in the travel position and I'd like them down.

I cut the wires to the motor just to make sure it wasn't fighting me.

Any ideas?

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
TrainSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I have heard of the legs "jamming" if raised too high, (motor still running when the legs are already in travel posit), but have not heard that even with the manual crank it didn't budge.
Could be the gear has jammed the legs in which case you may have to pull the cover from the box and check to see if the teeth are mucked up. If so, a good pry bar or heavier screwdriver should work to separate the gears.
Hopefully, someone will know more than I.
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks. That sounds like it might be the problem. I'll remove the motor and see if that allows the stabilizers to move freely. If so, I can then take it apart and see if it is fixable.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 07-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I removed the motor and that fixed the problem. Now I can operate the Jacks manually with the crank.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Bumping this old thread with some updates.

I just burned up my rear stabilizer motor this past weekend. That means both my motors lasted just months past the rig's warranty. I disassembled the motor and the internals are smoked. The gear reducer looks new but the armature of the electric motor is breaking apart.

Now the funny thing is that Lippert lists the motor as a Klauber C800. Klauber is from Missouri but my motor just says "India" on it. No reference to the mfg. LCI wants over $300 for this silly electric motor. That means they're crappy products (I'm stopping short of calling them defective as they did last just until the end of the warranty) would cost me almost $700 if I do the labor myself.

Anyone else have trouble with these? I keep my rig in indoor storage most of the year.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I'm not sure if the sticky switches caused the motor problem or not. I have new switches on order, but not in time to see if that was the cause of the problem.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 09-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

My rear motor is slow, got stuck once and the suggestion of a camper next to me was to hit the motor with a hammer, got it going and got the jacks up. It's slow now and is on the list of will get repaired before winter storage..
Old 09-03-2014, 04:02 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We took our 5er to a local dealer in the spring because the underbelly cover was falling off on the way home from Florida (always carry duct tape!). While it was there, they noticed the rear stabilizer jacks were not working. We never had a problem with them. We had purchased the trailer one year prior. It was the previous year's model still left on the lot.

The dealer was unable to obtain the required parts from Crossroads, so when we went to the factory rally we had that item fixed along with a list of other stuff. The jacks were up so we lived with the rocking until then.

My husband now only puts the jacks down part way in case they cease to function in a downward position. At least we could still travel. He puts something under them to make up the difference in distance (blocks or something).

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
Site Team

There is a lot to be said for the old hand cranked jacks. I think if it was me, those jacks with the electric motors going out would get converted to the old style manual ones.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Site Team

Come on Lloyd, your gonna make it hard for us guys with bad backs. Give me the electric any day. Just put better motors on them.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I was unable to connect with my dealer service department today. I did a little digging and it looks like Lippert might use two different motors. This diagram shows the higher end Klauber motor.parts diagram

However, this sheet shows that they also use the Prabha motor. Lip Sheet

The second sheet shows I have the Prahba motors on mine according to the wire colors.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH
Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
There is a lot to be said for the old hand cranked jacks. I think if it was me, those jacks with the electric motors going out would get converted to the old style manual ones.
My electric stabilizers can be operated manually. The handle is in the pass through and it is used on the end opposite the motor.

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W Diamond
2012 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L
MEHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Amen....getting to lazy...uh, old for manual labor. While I have a minute...and speaking of manually dropping the landing gear....does anyone know where I could find an adaptor for manually lowering legs. I assume it is a generic part that can be used on any set of legs. I purchased my unit used and it was no where to be found. though I have not needed it, would like to be able to lift legs if the motor does fail. I will be heading for the RV Expo in Harrisburg, Pa if someone can point to a manufacturer or vendor...Thanks!
SCT Flash 4X tune
Billstein upgrade shocks and dampener
2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL
RADMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Come on Lloyd, your gonna make it hard for us guys with bad backs. Give me the electric any day. Just put better motors on them.
I agree. They will spoil you quick. I did notice that my rear switch seemed to stick this past weekend. I had raised it, stood up, and hear it activate and quit. Lowered it a little and then back up without issue. Switch upgrade probably in my near future.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

I have the switch upgrade on order through my dealer, but they haven't arrived yet. Of course the second motor failed while I was waiting for the switches to come. I do wonder if the switch caused the motor failures or the other way around. Like a chicken and egg question.

BTW, my dealer had zero info about the switch upgrade. I had to call Crossroads and get the part number for my dealer.

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH