Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Unit is a 2008 Paradise Pointe with 50A service

Here are the conditions.

The unit has been sitting for several months as we had been unable to use it. It was plugged into a 30A circuit.

The battery was disconnected (switched off the system to keep it from cooking off due to heat here in summer.

I turned the battery on 3 days ago so the battery could take a full charge. I didn't check it after that so i don't know if it did or not but I don't believe so.

Today, I moved the unit to it's normal parking place used when we prepare for a trip. I hooked up and pulled it about 20 feet then dropped it.

I plugged the unit in again and went inside and turned the rear A/C on to cool/automatic. I set the front A/C to fan/high. Then I turned on the refrigerator and started doing some other maintenance stuff when noticed the lights going dim. I checked and the battery showed low.

Here's the weird part. I turned off all the circuits except for a bank of 12V ceiling lights in the living room. No problem yet. There is 120V power to the unit because the Microwave is lit up and the refer is on using elec.

The A/C won't start. So, I turned off all the lights and the A/C then started up. As soon as I turned on that same bank of 12V ceiling lights, the A/C shut down. I turned that circuit off and the A/C came back on. So, I turned a different bank of 12V ceiling lights and the A/C again dumped. There is no noise from the convertor so I think the problem might be there BUT...

I don't understand why a 12V light system would shut down the A/C. It's not tripping any internal breaker and it's not tripping the breaker to my 120V 30A dedicated circuit which is feeding the unit from the garage.

The battery is down to about 12V or a little less (I have a meter installed on the battery box so I can tell). It's apparently not charging.

If the converter is dead, why would the 12V lights trip a 120V circuit? Could it be a dead short in the converter?

2008 Chevy 2500 with Duramax/Allison

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

A dead or bad battery will put a heavy charging demand on the converter while it tries to

charge it, add a few lights and the converter will have a heavy demand

for 110 volts..

I would suggest that you check your batteries water level and charge the battery with a standard car charger..

then test the system again.. You may need to replace the battery..

another way to test the system, is remove one of the battery cables, this will remove the charging draw from the converter..

If things appear to be working fine again, with the battery cable removed - check or replace the battery..
Edited by: Jimehc
Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I believe that if your 12v is dropping below a certain point you will loose control voltage to the A/C. That is probably why it is shutting down. Sounds like either a converter or battery problem. Do the checks mentioned above to find out.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Check your ac voltage. It sounds like you are connected to a very weak AC system and it can not supply the current that is being demanded of it.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Ther best check for this condition is at the converter with the battery hooked up. There is a 12v dc terminal for the check. The 12v controls aqll the appliances except the microwave. The fridge, furnace and A/c control boards all run on 12v that is why turning the lights on the a/c drops out. Another thing that can be done is to put a battery charger on the battery and see if the appliances come back on. If the fan on the converter is not coming on it is most likely the problem.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemac377
I believe that if your 12v is dropping below a certain point you will loose control voltage to the A/C. That is probably why it is shutting down. Sounds like either a converter or battery problem. Do the checks mentioned above to find out.

I agree, low voltage at the thermostat will prevent the A/C from working. Recently a friend had a converter damaged by 240V, it was putting out 30 V DC. The A/C would not work due to too high DC voltage at the Tstat. Shut the converter off and the battery bank would supply correct voltage to the Tstat and the A/C would run fine.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #7
jeb
Family Vacation Member

The fan is not coming on and the converter is warm to the touch. I essentially disconnected the battery with the battery disconnect switch. I doubt if the battery is the problem.

I'll talk to my dealer tomorrow and see what he things. Then, I'll probably take it to him to replace the convertor. I need it fixed NLT Wednesday so we can head for Talladega.

This will probably be the last trip for us. I am no longer able to set it up properly since I cannot function without being hooked to oxygen and it's getting worse. The unit will go on the For Sale block upon our return from Dega.

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Bad cell in battery, it may show 12v plus, but when you load the battery up this bad cell will cause all kinds of problems.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
jeb
Family Vacation Member

Ok. Today, I hooked up an automobile battery charger to the battery and it is taking a charge. I turned on a 12V light and the A/C didn't stop running so apparently the A/C controls are getting their required 12V.

The problem is, therefore, the converter/charger and I will be taking the unit up to my dealer for the repair/replacement later today. Thank you for your help.

Oh! My dealer is Fair City RV who is located in Franklinton, LA. They have been an extremely helpful dealer both when I have had the Crossroads trailer and previously when I had a Safari Class A pusher. If anyone needs service, or wishes to get a fair deal on a trailer, I would certainly recommend Fair City RV. They aren't big. They aren't High-tech. They aren't sophisticated. They are honest.

Ask for Dale and tell him Bill from Covington sent you. Their phone is 985-795-1000.

Thanks again.

Edited by: jeb

1 wife

3 cats

and a family of racoons.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

By chance did you check the two "reverse polarity" fuses in the distribution center...

the two fuses are just off to the side of the main bank of 12 volt fuses.. If either or both are blown, the unit will not charge the battery..

Jimehc is offline   Reply With Quote