Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Electrical System Malfunction

I have a 2015 Crossroads Aire 5th Wheel (27RL) that the AC/DC converter went out on, I changed the converter and battery, the system appeared to work okay for 2.5 days then the battery was drained and all systems failed. When I started trouble shooting the system I found every 20 amp fuse was blown, I replaced them but found the converter is out again! Going to hook a battery charger to line after a successful trouble shoot before buying new converter!

I removed the battery cables and checked the manual switch, no issues but when I checked the positive line (removing from converter and battery) it indicated there was 15 - 18 ohms?

What in the RV is tied directly to the battery?

I will be removing every line and checking them one by one to see if there is a short so if there are motors or other items in line so if any one has ever experienced this problem before any help would be fantastic.
CWReyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

The tongue jack is often connected directly to the battery, as are the electric trailer brakes, after the pull-away switch. One other note. In Crossroads, the battery cables are white for negative, and black for positive. (think like house wiring, not auto battery). A reverse installation can cause blown fuses and more.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
New Camper

Red face Found Short

I am having problems with this site:

I did find my problem, which was of my own making!

1. Isolated all positive leads and checked with an ohm meter for continuity and for shorts.
2. Found a ground wire attached to the new converter I had installed that was actually causing a direct short, positive to ground. The ground wire was on my old converter but not on my new one so I had arbitrarily had used a screw on one corner of the circuit board. I didn't check with the ohm meter to see if it was grounded therefor it caused all my problem!

Lesson learned: Don't install a ground wire unless it comes with one and/or you make sure it is not to a positive portion of that unit!
CWReyna is offline   Reply With Quote